88 replies to this topic

#76 Mini_Magic

Mini_Magic

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 08:07 AM

so should i be using 20-50 oil in my wifes 1275 auto?

I would say yes but just use whatever makes you happy.

#77 redhotmini

redhotmini

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 08:25 PM

use 20w50 in automatics. they can be quite fussy on oil.

#78 Slow Hands

Slow Hands

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 05:00 PM

just a quick note really for anybody confused about oil...

When fairly light synthetic oil was being used in my 1275 sprite it was fine, no problems. Over the winter i think it was weeing a little bit of oil, but its a mini right?

Recently i put vavoline 20w/50 racing oil and and i have to say that me sprite is MUCH happier. The gearbox thanked me and is working more smoothly and its not leaking anything anymore (synthetic oil will make your mini have accidents on your drive.)

hope this will help anybody thinking about going thicker and mineral (you should definitely steer clear of synthetic in my humble opinion)

#79 Matrix

Matrix

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 01:44 PM

Millers Trans M for me and for the past 20years >_<

#80 [email protected]

[email protected]

Minispares

• Minispares
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,202 posts
  • Name: Simon Jackson

Posted 28 March 2008 - 01:47 PM

I agree with Oz, the Millers oils are Fantastic

#81 chunkomunko

chunkomunko

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 16 August 2008 - 04:07 PM

Great thread!! I've picked up alot of information.

Just a quick one though. Everyone (well most) is refering to 'mini engines' and using Mineral 20/50W. Will this be ok for my 1275 MG Metro engine too?

Many thanks!

#82 TimC

TimC

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Local Club: SAMOA

Posted 24 September 2008 - 11:29 PM

I can't seem to get a straight answer from anyone about what is the best oil to use in a 1995 Mayfair Automatic.... manual of course says 10w30 or 10w40... my experience was 10w30 sucks!!! and 10w40 seemed better...or i'm just crazy... either way the gearbox seemed fussy. Shifts were delayed and, with 10w30 it actually grinded once in a while... The car is from Japan, and i noticed that some people in Japan are using Repsol 15w45 fully synthetic! and its supposed to be specifically formulated for an automatic mini! Can't get ahold of the oil of course and don't plan on it... just looking for an alternative that works well. I'm going to inquire more with Amsoil and look into Millers products...I'm hesitant to use 20w50 since nobody in our local mini club use it for their automatics... They are using 10w40. I use 20w50 Amsoil Series 2000 in my manual mini cooper and its perfect. I might consider trying it in our automatic mini, but a few people i've talked to say ABSOLUTELY DO NOT use synthetic in an automatic mini... Amsoil swears they test that their oils don't eat away at seals such as the nitrile ones found in an automatic box, maybe so, and other sythetics may eat away at them and cause leaks... Hmm, well any insight from people that actually OWN an automatic mini and have attempted several oil types, it would be nice to hear what they have to say. I appreciate any info anyone may have.

-Tim :D

#83 1275midget

1275midget

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 07:53 PM

wow, a lot of very good info in here!

I'm running 20W50 in my engine and gearbox - but they're separate :)

I'm assuming this is OK for the gearbox? seems to work nicely if a bit sticky when cold, even though I've shredded one [suspect that's a driving issue :xmas:]

Also, a mate with a Spitfire (triumph not merlin) was recommended to buy the cheapest oil he could find, but I suggested the slightly more expensive Halfrauds stuff

Thanks for any help :xmas:

Rob

#84 wolfie

wolfie

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 11:00 PM

wow, a lot of very good info in here!

I'm running 20W50 in my engine and gearbox - but they're separate :dontgetit:

you sure?
there seems to be a huge amount of b*** s*** coming from people who clearly know nothing and only a few in this thread that have given good info

#85 1275midget

1275midget

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 09:50 AM

I was referring to the useful bits...

And my gearbox is separate in the midget, so my real question i suppose was is the 20W50 OK for running purely in the gearbox?

#86 ZED

ZED

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • Local Club: WSMOC

Posted 28 February 2009 - 02:35 AM

so would it be ok to change the oil every 3000 miles or would anyone recommend more frequent?

#87 daemonchild

daemonchild

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts
  • Local Club: Unknown

Posted 05 March 2009 - 09:21 PM

so would it be ok to change the oil every 3000 miles or would anyone recommend more frequent?

How does it look after 3000 miles when you change it?
I'm planning to work on a 3000 mile change unless i get advised otherwise.
And 20w50 MINERAL oil is the way forward. No more leaks!

#88 alicetheauto

alicetheauto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • Local Club: Rusty Nuts Minis, Leicester

Posted 06 March 2009 - 12:08 PM

In a manual, I use 20w/50 REALLY cheap oil from Asda or Wilkos, but I replace it every 1500 miles. I am a little bit concerned now- in an Automatic, is it possible that a 20w/50 could be too THICK, and could cause the 'box to slip? I had one that was slipping constabtly, whatever I did to adjust it. Got a repair quote of 4 figures!

#89 jackmason

jackmason

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • Local Club: Essex Mini Club

Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:15 PM

I've always used Halfords 15W40 but have now decided to use the Halfords Classic 20W50 as it needs an oil change.

Its currently £18.99 for 5 litres which is £14 with the trade card.

Learnt alot of information reading this thread and it had helped me to make my decision.

Thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users