dirtsurfer2006

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Local Club: South Devon

Posted 26 July 2007 - 04:07 PM

Hi,
i want to remove the old paint and primer on my shell to take it back to bare metal. Is paint stripper a bad idea? or should do it manually with a wire wheel on a grinder?
Any advice would be great thanks

Chris

#2 Sam Walters

Sam Walters

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 09:31 PM

well i dont see its a probem, however it is quite potent, however before you go out and buy nitomors or the like, buy some wall cleaner like brick cleaner as its concentrated acid basicly same as most paint stripers.

#3 dirtsurfer2006

dirtsurfer2006

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Local Club: South Devon

Posted 04 August 2007 - 02:18 PM

well i dont see its a probem, however it is quite potent, however before you go out and buy nitomors or the like, buy some wall cleaner like brick cleaner as its concentrated acid basicly same as most paint stripers.

Cheers for the advice but i just wasted 5 quid on wall and brick cleaner which did nothing to the paint work except clean it!

#4 mini_morley

mini_morley

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • Local Club: Winchester Area Mini Owners

Posted 04 August 2007 - 09:43 PM

Normal nitromors is usless for car paint. You can get a special car paint one, but i dont reckon thats much better. There are others out there, but i cant say ive tried them, otherwise all i can say is crack out the sander and 80grit...

#5 midridge2

midridge2

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 06:52 AM

hi, if your car is made of bricks then the brick cleaner should have worked. lol :lol:
nitromors is about the best laymans paint stripper you can buy, follow the directions on the can and keep your eyes and hands protected when using it.
some people dont like it and say its no good but i think they think one coat and it will all fall off, it will take it off one coat at a time depending on the type of paints on your car.
i have been using it for 35+ years in the motor trade and never had any problems with it.

this is my opinion and will differ from others.

#6 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 07:16 AM

this is my opinion and will differ from others.

I agree with you midridge... I 've used nitromors in the past and whilst it's very messy and sometimes annoying... it works.

I think i still favour the orbital sander, but it's not the only way to do it. Some people Rub down by hand.. doesn't take as long as you think and you'll have arms like Arnie once you're done!!!

#7 ian

ian

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 10:54 AM

yep same here, used Nitromors on a few cars now, it will take about three coats to get all the paint off though, i found put the first coat on and when the paint starts to crack/bubble wack another coat on, wait a few mins and then start scraping.

the biggest problem you have is making sure you remove any traces of it from all the small nooks and crannys before you paint.

my local focus diy store have Nitromors on sale at the mo, not sure if one near you has though, oh and dont bother buying the cheaper focus own make, been there done that and its C**p.

#8 schneill

schneill

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Local Club: Tyred And Exhausted

Posted 06 August 2007 - 02:37 PM

I used automotive nitro mors, not sure if its stronger?! Most the paint came off in one go/goo. Think the trick is to put it on really thick - none of this painting a door style where you don't want brush marks. If you do a flat surface i found it easier just to pour it straight on and then spread it round so you get loads on there really quickly.
Schneill

#9 Sam Walters

Sam Walters

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 07:09 PM

strange, well sorry about that :wub: tis okay for mine, and even tried it on my head took some carbon off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users