#1 Ro8bieg

Ro8bieg

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts
  • Local Club: Fylde Mini Club

Posted 27 July 2007 - 10:01 PM

Hi, I have just turned 15 and i have nearly finished rebuilding and restoring the bodywork on my mini! I am planning to do the R1 conversion and doing all of the work myself! Would you suggest having the car resprayed after i have made the conversion or before?? Thanks.

Robbie

#2 Tomf

Tomf

Baby Tom

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,440 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 10:03 PM

Get it re-sprayed after, by the way are you going to be driving this on the road when your 17? if so have you looked into insurance?

#3 lukey1019

lukey1019

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • Local Club: Cornish Mini Club

Posted 27 July 2007 - 10:05 PM

hehe im doing same as you just turned 16.. n doing the R1 kit :thumbsup: and really to b honest i would say before mate but you do have 2 chop bits off lol so your choice really

#4 biggav

biggav

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,830 posts
  • Local Club: South Central

Posted 27 July 2007 - 10:08 PM

oh christ..... :thumbsup:

please stick to the engine in the car for at least 2 years of road driving experience. i am fed up of removing teenagers bodies from car crashes and i am just glad that i don't have to inform the parents. sorry to be blunt but all the old fekkers who tell you that you aren't a qualified driver until you have 5 years and a few prangs under your belt are telling the truth.

maybe i got old... maybe i got drunk... just... don't do it.. besides you will be paying more insurance than your paper round will cover.

#5 lukey1019

lukey1019

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 10:09 PM

actually.... do it in the middle.. when you have done all the chopping you need to then paint it then build the kit :thumbsup:

#6 biggav

biggav

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,830 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 10:13 PM

:thumbsup:

i remember being your age. :thumbsup:

#7 speedingorange

speedingorange

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Local Club: miniresource.com

Posted 27 July 2007 - 10:16 PM

oh christ..... :thumbsup:

please stick to the engine in the car for at least 2 years of road driving experience. i am fed up of removing teenagers bodies from car crashes and i am just glad that i don't have to inform the parents. sorry to be blunt but all the old fekkers who tell you that you aren't a qualified driver until you have 5 years and a few prangs under your belt are telling the truth.

maybe i got old... maybe i got drunk... just... don't do it.. besides you will be paying more insurance than your paper round will cover.

i 2nd this... im no experience driver by any means. But i have got almost 3 years now under my belt. And it annoys me no end when i see people who are younger than me driving like fury becuase they passed there test first time. im not saying you will do this. But... a bike powerd mini... is NOT the way to get into the swing of driving.

#8 lukey1019

lukey1019

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 10:18 PM

.. by the way before anyone says dont do it to me lol im just building it and riding init lol not driving it.. got a mini 1275 GT for that job :thumbsup:

#9 Tomf

Tomf

Baby Tom

• Traders
  • 6,440 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 10:18 PM

Before you start this project i think you should phone up some insurance companies as if they will even insure you you are going ot be looking at around 4k at a guess...

#10 wilcooper

wilcooper

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts
  • Local Club: Sheffield Mini Club

Posted 27 July 2007 - 11:40 PM

like people have said, dont do it, expensive, wont get insured, pointless, wait till your 25+

and a 1275gt still has a lot of power for a first time driver, so be careful

i had my 1275 stage 1 cooper from when was pre 17, and it was my first car on the road, didnt even realise its power potential till my 31yr old brother took it for a spin with me, and i was like "what the hell, whys it this fast?" :thumbsup:

stay safe.

#11 koss

koss

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts
  • Local Club: The Greenbank working mens social club

Posted 28 July 2007 - 03:08 AM

I would suggest painting it after the floor and arches have been cut out.

#12 biggav

biggav

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,830 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 07:09 AM

The very fact that you are asking this question shows that you are trying to run before you can walk. all the information about Zcars builds is available on this forum (use the search button) or on the Zcars Website.

People look at the prices quoted and think that you could have a car on the road for £7000... from what i have seen, £15000 is more realistic, and if you want a show car, track day car or just want it to be road worthy for more time than it's broken, you are looking at around £25K... and thats just going by what people on here have spent (and continue to spend)

They will all tell you, when you start a project like this, you only want to do it once, and do it right. this takes, time and lots of money.

#13 R1minimagic

R1minimagic

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 09:02 AM

I totally agree with biggav on this. Besides costing lots of money to build (probably in excess of 15k on top of the original car in my case), insurance companies will just laugh at you and if you do manage to get it on the road it will probably be buried in a tree in next to no time.

I think there should be similar legislation for cars as there is for motorbikes. Start off on limited cc and power before you can progress to the bigger stuff.........

#14 Jobu

Jobu

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Local Club: 16vminiclub

Posted 28 July 2007 - 09:29 AM

WHY do all the older people tar all the youngens with the same brush? Sure some people act like complete ***** at our age, but everyone? I think not! And im sure some of you older ones were complete ***** on the road to start off with? But everyone seems to think its just us now! :thumbsup:

I do agree with insurance though before you build it make sure you can insure it, no point having it sat on the drive.

Oh and cut it about before you paint it :thumbsup:

#15 Ro8bieg

Ro8bieg

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts
  • Local Club: Fylde Mini Club

Posted 28 July 2007 - 05:01 PM

WHY do all the older people tar all the youngens with the same brush? Sure some people act like complete ***** at our age, but everyone? I think not! And im sure some of you older ones were complete ***** on the road to start off with? But everyone seems to think its just us now! :thumbsup:

I do agree with insurance though before you build it make sure you can insure it, no point having it sat on the drive.

Oh and cut it about before you paint it :thumbsup:

Yeah it annoys me! Im dont drive like a T@"t! You see all the chavs in the novas hittin the limiters and i really dont see the point in doin it! Not all younger people do this! I would be too scared of crashin and wrappin it round a tree anyway!
I would be the second driver on the insurance.
Thanks for the advice :o

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users