68 replies to this topic

#16 supermotolee

supermotolee

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 05:05 PM

i'm 22 got an R1 mini been driving for a bit, still its a tricky car to get on with

been riding bikes since i was 17 and have riden bikes like fireblades and sp1's regularly as it was part of my job they will eat most cars on the road for breakfast(not owned them though as i couldnt put up with the 1k plus to insure one)

but then again i agree with jobu that there are some of us that have a bit of commen sense and know our limits most kids are idiots at 17 though so tar away lol

#17 Jobu

Jobu

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Local Club: 16vminiclub

Posted 28 July 2007 - 06:04 PM

Yeah it annoys me! Im dont drive like a T@"t! You see all the chavs in the novas hittin the limiters and i really dont see the point in doin it! Not all younger people do this! I would be too scared of crashin and wrappin it round a tree anyway!
I would be the second driver on the insurance.
Thanks for the advice :thumbsup:

Please let me know if you find a insurance company that will insure you as a second driver at that age. I have yet to find a company that will with my VTEC.

#18 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,215 posts
  • Local Club: central minis

Posted 28 July 2007 - 06:20 PM

no no no - let them do it, spend their pocket money on complex high power conversions and then when they've finished and no-one will insure them we can buy them as unfinished projects for peanuts..

Biggavs jokes may suck, but he is talking sense on this one.

#19 lukey1019

lukey1019

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • Local Club: Cornish Mini Club

Posted 28 July 2007 - 06:31 PM

15k...... nah

kit cost £5200.. then a donor car say £1000 then paint aprox £700, engine aprox £1200, panels n body work aprox £500 (D.I.Y) say £1500 for bits n bobs

= 10.100

#20 biggav

biggav

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,830 posts
  • Local Club: South Central

Posted 28 July 2007 - 06:33 PM

:thumbsup:

I'm 28. I passed my test at 17 and wrote off my first car because i drove too fast. since then i have done my Direct Acces Bike Test, HGV and EFAD.
I'm still learning.

I know that if i had a car capable of 0-60 in only a few seconds, i would always be tempted to open the can of woop ass at every opportunity.

You will hear people who have written off cars saying "there was a fox/dog/cat/ elephant that i swerved to avoid" or " A blind bend came out of nowhere" or "the little kid just ran out infront of me"

IF you can afford the build, and IF you can afford the insurance, then maybe yu can afford some advanced driving lessons too... and a first aid course.

#21 biggav

biggav

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,830 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 06:34 PM

15k...... nah

kit cost £5200.. then a donor car say £1000 then paint aprox £700, engine aprox £1200, panels n body work aprox £500 (D.I.Y) say £1500 for bits n bobs

= 10.100

they get on and do it.... I promise i won't say i told you so!!! :thumbsup:

#22 lukey1019

lukey1019

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 06:39 PM

.... im not paying lol i dont care how much its cost im just building it n riding init lol

#23 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • 7,215 posts
  • Local Club: central minis

Posted 28 July 2007 - 06:43 PM

.... im not paying lol i dont care how much its cost im just building it n riding init lol

I'd do your sums and research again - its going to cost closer to 15K - thats assuming you know what you are doing and put it together yourself.

Dont get me wrong - I wish you the best of luck - but be aware of all the aspects you will need to buy:

brakes
loom
exhaust
wheels
tyres
suspension
diff
asbestos underwear

etc etc.

#24 lukey1019

lukey1019

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 06:50 PM

brakes, get with it
loom,... il buy lol
exhaust, get with it
wheels, got some for it
tyres, got em
suspension get with it
diff get with it
asbestos underwear.... lol

#25 Jobu

Jobu

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Local Club: 16vminiclub

Posted 28 July 2007 - 07:29 PM

So its not your car then? Its being bought for you? Wish mine was!

Actually thinking about it i dont, i've worked hard for it! I dont think i would care or appreciate it as much as i do if i hadnt paid for it!

Biggav: I can defo see where you're coming from. Also i will be investing in advanced driving lessons 'because i know i will need them! And im pleased to say my mini will be restricted for quite some time! I wouldnt have it any other way nor would my dad!

If people are going to have these machines whatever their age, they need to respect it. Young people have a lack of respect including myself to be honest!

HAHA i sound like an old git!

#26 koss

koss

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts
  • Local Club: The Greenbank working mens social club

Posted 28 July 2007 - 11:27 PM

Paint it after the shell is cut out.

Edited by koss, 28 July 2007 - 11:28 PM.

#27 Ro8bieg

Ro8bieg

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts
  • Local Club: Fylde Mini Club

Posted 29 July 2007 - 09:09 AM

Its not as though I would be new to driving a car because i have been able to drive on my fields since I was 9 so i wouldnt be new to it!

#28 Tomf

Tomf

Baby Tom

• Traders
  • 6,440 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 09:18 AM

Yea but that doesnt affect your insurance, if your a farmer then you might get a reduction if you class the mini as one used by your farm then you might get a reduction.

Alot of my friend were in your same situation, been driving on fields since they were about 7 and they got insured as farm veichles but even that only saved them a couple of hundred max. And even from driving from a young age not driving on the road all of my friends had picked up bad habits as they hadnt been taught properly. So all of them took longer to pass than me and the majority of them failed a few time..... so even if you have been driving from a young age your driving still might not be up to scratch.

Sorry if that sounds like im having a go at you as the above might not be the same for you but im just going off my experiences.

#29 biggav

biggav

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,830 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 09:27 AM

I know people who drove on the road from the age of 13... That must mean they are fantastic drivers and far more likely to get lower insurance than anyone else!!! :thumbsup:

It's one thing being able to potter around a farm changing gear, getting used to brakes etc, but being on the road is a completley different afair.

Insurance companies only care about the time that you have been qualified as a driver with the DVLA to be honest you are more likely to pick up bad habbits by driving from an early age which can be very difficult to undo when you finally get on the road.

I may be coming accross as being extreamly negative on this subject, usually i am very balanced in my opinions but i'm afraid i just can't see where you're coming from with this.

#30 Ro8bieg

Ro8bieg

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts
  • Local Club: Fylde Mini Club

Posted 30 July 2007 - 10:56 AM

Well no i havent got into bad habits because my mum went into driving instructing about 4 yrs ago and she used to help me with everything!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users