sheree&the-gt

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Local Club: Leeds MOC

Posted 29 July 2007 - 07:50 PM

Posted Image

its an mpi and when i start my engine oil leaks from this stop (pinpointed)
its annoying the hell out of me, and it looks like its coming from a plug or something

someone help!!! please

xx

#2 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,373 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 29 July 2007 - 08:07 PM

That's the bottom of the clutch housing. Could just be oil on the outside collecting there 'because it's a low point. Otherwise it's getting into the clutch housing via the clutch oil seal.

#3 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 29 July 2007 - 10:27 PM

Two possabilities as the picture shows the pot joint to be dry.

The rocker cover gasket is leaking, easy to diagnose as there will be oil from the very top of the engine at the flywheel end, all the way down to the bottom.

The Primary gear oil seal or the primary gear itself. First dibs would be on the seal. Easiest way to diagnose that is to remove the starter motor, if the hole in which it sits is totaly covered in wet oil, then its the seal or primary gear.

The latter being a flywheel off job and possibly a new clutch plate along with the seal, and when its of, double check the primary gear running clearances, if they are out, fix it!!

#4 sheree&the-gt

sheree&the-gt

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Local Club: Leeds MOC

Posted 30 July 2007 - 12:35 AM

The rocker cover gasket is leaking, easy to diagnose as there will be oil from the very top of the engine at the flywheel end, all the way down to the bottom.

The Primary gear oil seal or the primary gear itself. First dibs would be on the seal. Easiest way to diagnose that is to remove the starter motor, if the hole in which it sits is totaly covered in wet oil, then its the seal or primary gear.

The latter being a flywheel off job and possibly a new clutch plate along with the seal, and when its of, double check the primary gear running clearances, if they are out, fix it!!

grrrr its seriously annoying because last month me gearbox went, so i got it reconditioned, pretty much all inside replaced as teeth were missing from nearlt all the gears.

i also bought a new cluth which was expensive too pretty much double the price as its an mpi

who should i takethe problem too the person who reconditioned my gearbox or the person who refitted my engine?

ta ben x

#5 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 30 July 2007 - 07:42 AM

The person who attached the gearbox to the engine, if it's the primary seal which has failed.

#6 Andy500

Andy500

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 08:27 AM

My 998 has a small leak of oil from the same spot but never leaks when its running. I just noticed a tiny 5p sized spot on the garage floor the other day, will this be a problem?
Cheers

#7 annodomini2

annodomini2

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 08:34 AM

My 998 has a small leak of oil from the same spot but never leaks when its running. I just noticed a tiny 5p sized spot on the garage floor the other day, will this be a problem?
Cheers

Follow as has been said, take the starter motor out, if theres oil in there then its your primary gear or oil seal. You will need to replace the clutch plate if is diaphram or the entire clutch if its verto.

#8 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 30 July 2007 - 04:05 PM

grrrr its seriously annoying because last month me gearbox went, so i got it reconditioned, pretty much all inside replaced as teeth were missing from nearlt all the gears.

i also bought a new cluth which was expensive too pretty much double the price as its an mpi

who should i takethe problem too the person who reconditioned my gearbox or the person who refitted my engine?

ta ben x

Id say in that case its the primary gear seal, and the fault of who fitted your gearbox. As for the clutch you only need to replace the friction plate, and they are only about £16.

Its a bit of a bummer really.

Dont forget to check the rocker cover gasket first though :-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users