9 replies to this topic

#1 Rusty The Clubman

Rusty The Clubman

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 08:31 PM

ill start from the beginning, i brought the car about 3 hours ago, driving back from london and apon stopping water / steam is erupting from the radiator, initally i though the radiator cap had'nt been on properly... refilled with water and continued driving, apon stopping again the same problem.. water / steam doesn't erupt during driving but as ssoon as you stop and turn off engine... finally i have got home to find oil pouring and i meant pouring out from bottom of the clutch casing, it look's like there is a split pin busted through the clutch casing at the bottom. when i try to fill up with oil the oil runs straight through the engine and out of the hole... does any one know if the is a split pin in the clutch, i can still drive the car..(had to drive it home) changes gear fine clutch engages an dissingages, but a funny noise coming from inside... anyones help would be much appreciated and at this moment in time i am gutted brand new car and brand new problem.

#2 icklemini

icklemini

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,982 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 08:39 PM

the splitpin is supposed to be there - it keeps the hole clear so that if the clutch oil seal blows oil drains out of it..

so the fact you have oil coming out the hole, suggests that the oil seal (or indeed, though less likely, the bushes in the primary gear) needs attention.

no idea on the noise - though overheating doesnt do engines any good...

hth,
Dave

#3 Rusty The Clubman

Rusty The Clubman

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 08:54 PM

the splitpin is supposed to be there - it keeps the hole clear so that if the clutch oil seal blows oil drains out of it..

so the fact you have oil coming out the hole, suggests that the oil seal (or indeed, though less likely, the bushes in the primary gear) needs attention.

no idea on the noise - though overheating doesnt do engines any good...

hth,
Dave

cheers dave just checked on my other mini and your brilliantly corret split pin is present how do i go about replacing the seal??? do i need to remove the crank case??

#4 icklemini

icklemini

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,982 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 09:08 PM

Can be done in the car:
need to get the flywheel out, old oil seal out (there is another thread around detailing that), then new seal back in... maybe worth a new clutch whilst you are there as oil could have contaminated it...

full details in the Haynes...

#5 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 01 August 2007 - 09:24 PM

Is there not a FAQ on this split pin!!, it gets asked an awefull lot :kiss:

#6 annodomini2

annodomini2

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 07:58 AM

Can be done in the car:
need to get the flywheel out, old oil seal out (there is another thread around detailing that), then new seal back in... maybe worth a new clutch whilst you are there as oil could have contaminated it...

full details in the Haynes...

If your doing it in the car I suggest you borrow a primary gear pulling tool, turns a ball ache job into a 2min simple job.

#7 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 02:04 PM

If the seal or bushes were at fault then oil should only be coming out of the clutch drain hole while the engine is running. If you really mean it the way it sounds in the first post and the oil is pouring straight out as you pour it in it could point to much more serious problems. I would be suspecting a puncture through the drop gear housing, probably at the idler gear bearing as the 3rd motion bearing is mostly outside the clutch case I seem to remember and if that were punched through oil would flow directly onto the ground without entering the clutch case.

In either case the first course of action is to remove the flywheel. Once that's done however before you replace the seal thoroughly inspect the clutch case to make sure there isn't a breach into the sump or transfer gear chest anywhere.

Also if heat soak is as much of a problem as it sounds then the block could be pretty well sludged up or the water pump or rad on it's way out. How hot is it running before it boils?

#8 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 03:08 PM

I was wondering what the cheese that pin was for.

#9 Rusty The Clubman

Rusty The Clubman

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 05:44 PM

If the seal or bushes were at fault then oil should only be coming out of the clutch drain hole while the engine is running. If you really mean it the way it sounds in the first post and the oil is pouring straight out as you pour it in it could point to much more serious problems. I would be suspecting a puncture through the drop gear housing, probably at the idler gear bearing as the 3rd motion bearing is mostly outside the clutch case I seem to remember and if that were punched through oil would flow directly onto the ground without entering the clutch case.

In either case the first course of action is to remove the flywheel. Once that's done however before you replace the seal thoroughly inspect the clutch case to make sure there isn't a breach into the sump or transfer gear chest anywhere.

Also if heat soak is as much of a problem as it sounds then the block could be pretty well sludged up or the water pump or rad on it's way out. How hot is it running before it boils?

Dan i read you post and my heart dropped only had the car less than 12 hours and your saying the clutch housing has a hole punched in it... well guess what ... you were F*(KING right can't believe it removed the clutch and casing to find a dirty 10mm hole just left of the split pin. in amongst oil and dirty there were the remains for 5 bearings not round anylonger but funky squares and oblongs as well as a lump of metal that was once attached to the clutch housing.... not just a £19 clutch seal for minispars any longer a whole new gear box..... oooo joy.... any way i think im going to start my own diary on here called THE HIGHS AND LOWS OF MINI DRIVING.. so keep your eyes pealed.... forget to say whilst the car was up on the rack i had a pep at the rear subframe only to find big rusty holes through it... MOT FAILURE ONCE AGAIN...

Edited by Rusty The Clubman, 06 August 2007 - 05:45 PM.

#10 icklemini

icklemini

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,982 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 06:29 PM

:wub:

Edited by icklemini, 06 August 2007 - 06:30 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users