11 replies to this topic

#1 brandon7

brandon7

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 12:16 PM

I come from a background which pretty much totally exists in Caterhams. My dad is mental about them. Anyway i'm sure you will all agree great cars and come together very well if you build them, unlike other similar companies where things don't line up and stuff

In your own words or in a scale of 1/10 how problematic are the Z car kits? Or have these problems been ironed out. I imagine some of the moderators on here work for Z cars or they are your friends. Its just Im willing to invest alot of money in this product and i just want stuff to line up! =)

Any info and past experiences, dos and donts and tips etc would be great, like painting before cutting etc all that and what tools you would make sure you had before starting as an essential!

Bring on the feedback!!! Was it all worth it? Haha

#2 oli79

oli79

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 07 August 2007 - 12:56 PM

I come from a background which pretty much totally exists in Caterhams. My dad is mental about them. Anyway i'm sure you will all agree great cars and come together very well if you build them, unlike other similar companies where things don't line up and stuff

In your own words or in a scale of 1/10 how problematic are the Z car kits? Or have these problems been ironed out. I imagine some of the moderators on here work for Z cars or they are your friends. Its just Im willing to invest alot of money in this product and i just want stuff to line up! =)

Any info and past experiences, dos and donts and tips etc would be great, like painting before cutting etc all that and what tools you would make sure you had before starting as an essential!

Bring on the feedback!!! Was it all worth it? Haha

Hi there i have no link to z's other than having built one of there cars and on a scale of 1 being the lowest about 0.5/10 problematic, they are suberbly engineered and very easy to fit, your best bet is to look at the dvd first and then arrange a test drive at z cars and you will see what i mean.If you want tips the best bet it is go through the build diaries, markrallys is very very good for this.There are no problems to iron out in the kits because z cars is unique to the kit car scene in that they undergo a system of constant development that is why a visit to the factory should be your first step, the only problem you are likely to encounter is deciding which engine to go for! My tip from my build would be if you need something for your car speak to z cars first because in the end they build the cars all the time and no matter how much i shopped around i couldnt come close to beating them on price and they know all the correct stuff to use.Only basic garage tools are needed really,oh and a wallet with around 11-15k in cash helps!!

Is it worth it-definitely if only for the first time you take it out and give it a tube opener!

Hope this helps oli

Edited by oli79, 07 August 2007 - 12:59 PM.

#3 brandon7

brandon7

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 01:44 PM

Oli thanks a lot i will go for a test drive. Its as i thought a well developed company with good suport but i jsut wanted to get as mich feedback as possible on this.

Its worth doing before spending all the money for sure.
Cheers mate

ANy more for any more?

#4 Ade

Ade

the bogie man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 03:57 PM

Well the kit for mine was made as a one off (it being a minus) and it fitted very very well! Because mine was a little different the original shocks didn't fit and the gear cable needed to be shorter but nothing was too much trouble!

New shocks made for me at no extra cost. Different gear cable. Even different weighted springs when we got it on the road as the front was a bit over sprung!

At every step very friendly helpful service.

Oh and as for is it worth it!?!? The grin factor is just silly! Everytime I've driven mine i come back shaking/smiling like a madman!

You could always save yourself some hassle and just buy mine :D :shifty:

Only selling as I'm getting married then looking for a bigger house etc

#5 pete

pete

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 06:02 PM

I have no connection with z-cars but will always sing their praises for customer service and quality of engineering. They made a frame for my pickup as a one off and the help they gave(and still give) was spot on. Nothing is ever too much trouble for them.

Is it worth doing?? YES. Still wish I hadn't sold my pickup but i'm currently building one for a friend and already have a new shell lined up for my next one. Also mentioned to them about using a different engine from their current design and they are more than willing to make a one off again.

Pete

#6 Renessy

Renessy

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Local Club: minisevenclub Holland

Posted 07 August 2007 - 07:26 PM

Pete, give us a hint. What engine are you thinking of?

#7 pete

pete

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 08:41 PM

Pete, give us a hint. What engine are you thinking of?

20 valve turbo????

Edited by pete, 08 August 2007 - 09:10 PM.

#8 z cars chris

z cars chris

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 10:28 PM

pete is that a flying saucer thats landed on your pick up if it is you should sell the story to the news of the world to pay for the new car
chris

#9 HILTY

HILTY

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 07:52 AM

pete is that a flying saucer thats landed on your pick up if it is you should sell the story to the news of the world to pay for the new car
chris

20 valve turbo....Would that be the Audi tt engine by any chance?

Mark

#10 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 08:00 AM

Could just be a later bike engine with turbo!! :shifty:

#11 pete

pete

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 10:12 AM

chris

20 valve turbo....Would that be the Audi tt engine by any chance?

Mark

Could be :shifty:

Pete

#12 pete

pete

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 10:16 AM

chris

Wish it was Chris then I could afford a monte. I blanked it out to stop me getting depressed every time I looked at the pic. The only thing stopping me from starting the next one are the cars i'm building for other people >:shifty: .

Pete

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users