#1 meggles

meggles

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 12:32 PM

Hello

So, to introduce myself, I'm Meg and am looking for a mini to buy within the next couple of weeks (I have a new job and need a car).

Any advice for what I should look out for? I know nothing about cars other than having always wanted a mini, so any advice appreciated! Wanting to spend about £1500-£2000 tops.

Thanks,
Meg.

#2 steve1360cc

steve1360cc

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Local Club: SMOC

Posted 09 August 2007 - 01:17 PM

What area are you in? and what age are you? insurance will be one of the key problems? :shifty:

#3 mike49

mike49

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 03:28 PM

id reccommend taking the time to research buying minis first off, as there're alot of common nasties that you may later uncover after paying over the odds... get a few mini mags as well to develop a feel for the one you want, and some understanding of them.. its common that youll buy the first mini you like the look of, then after getting to know more about them you probably wish you got a different one or something haha
ebay bidding is your friend :shifty:

#4 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,896 posts
  • Local Club: South Wales Minis

Posted 09 August 2007 - 04:10 PM

Try and buy the Mini with the longest MOT and full service history, plus one with the least rust. Use a magnet to check that all panels are steel and not made up of filler, cardboard or other such C**p and it would probably be worth getting in touch with you're local Mini club and ask if someone in the know there would give the car a look over too.

So try not to fall in love with the first one you see and try to use you're head and not you're heart. Be ruthless and once you've decided on the one to buy, perhaps get an AA check done too for peace of mind?

#5 meggles

meggles

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 05:01 PM

Sounds like I'm on the right lines then - I have a few mini mags and have done a bit of research so far. I am aiming for one that has as little rust as possible.

Any advice as to whether to go for an older more basic model, or to plump for a newer one with injection, a "brain" etc?

I'm 31 and work in London, although can insure it in Essex which should make it cheaper. Already have a couple of quotes.

I'll definitely do the magnet thing when I go and look. Thanks.

Am hoping to take a mechanic with me but not sure if that will be possible or not. This is all a bit rushed now as my new job should be starting soon, and I have wasted time trying to persuade my dad it's ok for me to have a mini. That has failed so I am borrowing money from someone else!!!

Thanks for your help!

#6 8vAlan

8vAlan

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Local Club: NENE Valley

Posted 09 August 2007 - 05:06 PM

check out the forsale section

#7 meggles

meggles

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 11:27 AM

So I finally have my first mini!!!

She is a gorgeous red 1986 mini mayfair in great condition, and she's called Mona :thumbsup:

I now have a stupid question. I am at my boyfriend's place and have gone and left my manual at home. I need to check oil and water today. I know where the oil dipstick is, but the water??

I know where the windscreen washer water is and obviously how to fill that up, do I need to check the radiator too? I did want to do this yesterday but I couldn't as I had driven her over here and so the engine was already hot.

Help appreciated - and note to self, leave manual in the car from now on...

Thanks.

#8 TopCatCustom

TopCatCustom

Previously known as C4NN0N.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 12:20 PM

If its not too hot slowly take off the cap on the top of the radiator- the water should be just lower that the lip where the bottom of the cap fits so a couple of inches down from the top, & congrats!!

#9 stanley and naomi

stanley and naomi

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • Local Club: Southwest Cornwall

Posted 26 August 2007 - 12:27 PM

congrats on your new mini :thumbsup:

#10 bigminikid

bigminikid

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Local Club: Leeds Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 26 August 2007 - 12:33 PM

Insurance is rediculous for me, im 17 coming on 18 and paying £2000 annual for my 1984 City 1000. Thats the cheapest i got a quote for one. Its due to the area i live around is why its so high.

Dan

#11 meggles

meggles

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 05:19 PM

Hi Dan

I went to moneysupermarket.com to search for my insurance. I am rather older than you (31) but my quotes on there ranged from £550 to about £200. When I called up the cheapest one they actually quoted me £166. That's fully comp with Lancaster Insurance. Might be worth a try?

A few other tips - you can increase your excess, go third party and remove any fancy options (legal cover etc) (they offered me mini club membership and couldn't tell me what it would give me. I took it off and saved about £75!). If you have a friend living in a cheaper area, you could try insuring it there.

C4NNON,
Have done the oil and water now so thanks!

Love my new mini ;D

#12 Murphy_mini

Murphy_mini

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Local Club: None of yet

Posted 26 August 2007 - 06:16 PM

Hi I'm completely new to all this so here goes!
Just been readin ur posts about the insurance, id recommend Footman James, they do great classic policy so as long as ur mini is over 15yrs old u can get a great price if u limit ur mileage. Hope this is some use

steve ;D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users