#301 BigRed8

BigRed8

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Local Club: N/A

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:53 PM

On The Road, A good guess but since all the stock Mini brake hardware has been replaced, and specifically the brake master cylindars have been replaced with Tilton units,  I don't think the master cylinder is the source of the problem.  The brake system is as basic as can be, with the only complexity being that we have 2 brake circuits and two brake master cylinders one for the front brakes and one for the back, with a bias adjuster in the rear.

#302 Joe250

Joe250

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:55 AM

I'm so happy to hear your Mini is on the road! Congratulations.

I don't know offhand what is causing your brake issue but I wonder if the caliper is sitting square to the rotor and if the pads are centered to the rotor as well. Just a thought. It does sound like something is keeping the pads applied to the rotor though. You might try jacking the car up with the front of the car in the air, removing the wheels, and turning the engine on. Alternate between accelerating and braking while someone observes the front brakes.

Joe

#303 Captain Mainwaring

Captain Mainwaring

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts
  • Local Club: Surabaya Mini Club

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:17 AM

I think the master cylinder could be the source of the problem - if the actuator rod is too long it can causing the piston to sit lower than it should and as the caliper warms up and the fluid expands it can't return through the master cylinder - 

I've had a similar problem on a bike.

#304 ScudY23

ScudY23

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:21 PM

Wow 5yrs of reading complete, some truely amazing work done there guys. Would lv to be able to fab stuff like that dash.

Credit to the both of you.

#305 bodgins

bodgins

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 09:59 AM

only just seen this build, very impressive, like the colour

#306 BigRed8

BigRed8

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Local Club: N/A

Posted 17 May 2015 - 03:51 AM

Thanks again to everyone on this forum for 8 years ( ! ) of encouragement. ideas, and support.  This epic story does have a happy ending.  We've been enjoying driving our Mini for about six months now.  We've worked out just about all the bugs and it is a blast to drive!  

Alas, The time has come to to part with our little beast.  We hope to find it a good home somewhere in the western USA with an owner who appreciates everything we put into it.   

Thanks again and happy mini-motoring to you all.  

Cheers!

Chris and John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users