#16 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,896 posts
  • Local Club: South Wales Minis

Posted 17 August 2007 - 06:40 PM

Problem finally solved and sorted and Elfman was spot on so thanks buddy. The anorak was kind enough to take a couple of snaps of the fuel hose and vent pipe on his Mainstream Cooper and post them on the Mainstream Cooper Register for me. The fuel hose is supposed to run through the smaller hole after all, whilst the vent pipe runs through the larger hole that has a grommet. No doubt to prevent any fumes coming back through?

As you can see the little rubber collar thingy should sit below the boot floor and is probably there to help prevent the hose being pulled off the main fuel line when the tank is moved to get at the damper bolts: -

Posted Image

Here's the pesky holes in question and it just seams that my fuel hose had gone brittle with age, plus I had disturbed it recently when I was checking the earth's and wiring to solve an indicator problem. I've checked the holes and the smaller one doesn't have a sharp edge, plus I've pulled and twisted the new hose whilst through it and it doesn't leave any marks or cuts so it should be fine for another 17 years.

Posted Image

Anyway Somerford Minis (who are superb) came to the rescue again and I received the new fuel hose and clips etc that I ordered from them within a day! I should have ordered a replacement vent pipe too because on closer inspection that's starting to split and break up too, so I'll have to give them a ring in the morning.

It would be nice to have a dummies guide to Mini repairs, but we're very lucky to have such helpful and very knowledgeable people here on TMF anyway. So thanks again and thanks for the photo's Anorak.

:D

#17 Elfman

Elfman

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Local Club: Elf Hornet Register

Posted 18 August 2007 - 10:19 AM

For the vent pipe, it's cheaper going to the local motor factor and buying 3 feet of fuel pipe.

#18 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 11:45 AM

For the vent pipe, it's cheaper going to the local motor factor and buying 3 feet of fuel pipe.

Seconded!

#19 THE ANORAK

THE ANORAK

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 11:58 AM

So thanks again and thanks for the photo's Anorak.

:D

no probs mate :withstupid:

i have to admit i thought it was the other way round until i went out to investigate :techsupport:

#20 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • 9,896 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 06:05 PM

Thanks and I'll probably do that because Somerford want £6.47 +VAT for a nylon type of vent pipe, which was fitted to earlier 7.5 gallon fuel tanks. The vent pipe that's fitted to mine is a slightly hard black rubber pipe.

Moss on the other hand are supplying part no: GWW202M as the vent pipe, but both Somerford and Mini Spares use that part number for the windscreen washer pipe

Part No: GWW202M Via Mini Spares

I can't find any mention of the actual vent pipe on the Mini Spares site, but this looks close and could just be it?: -

PETROLPIPE Via Mini Spares

Which is different to their actual petrol hose link: -

Petrol Hose Via Mini Spares

Perhaps I will try giving my local Sparesworld or MotorWorld a call then?

#21 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 06:19 PM

Just use a local part shop. Be like £2 if that. Well if they sell by "X" amount. If you have a buy an amount (ie pre cut length) then it's more like £3.

#22 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • 9,896 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 06:31 PM

Okay cheers buddy, I'll call around a few tomorrow morning then.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users