2 replies to this topic

#1 Monstrous

Monstrous

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 09:07 PM

Right, you might shout at me because this post seems quite similar to Retro10's post about backfiring, but i think it is a slightly different problem, and didn't want to clutter his thread

anyway, after getting my new mini back via trailer we thought we had sourced the problem of the strange popping and backfiring through the carb to be the timing, as the dizzy moved, so we put it back to the right place, and then put the needle back in the piston, as it fell out :D we also fiddled with the mixture (but we didn't know what we were doing at the time :withstupid:)

it ran really great after that, but today when testing out the brakes it started doing it again, it gradually gets lumpier and lumpier. you'll get very fast but small popping (sounds like a chevy V8) then it will gradually get bigger and slower until the engine dies, all this backfiring causes my faulty needle to come apart again (i will get a new one, promise).

anyway, the dizzy hadn't moved this time, we marked it. the points are gapped correctly and it has had a new condensor and points just yesterday.

eventually, we got it to the point where it idled, albeit it horribly, just through persistance, then my dad fiddled about with the mixture and it was perfect again????

so to the point, why would the mixture keep changing?? what would cause it to adjust itself, it tends to do it after quite hard acceleration if that helps?

it's kind of a win/lose situation as we're happy we found the problem, but im annoyed as i know it will probably happen again and we don't know how to stop it

as i said, any help appreciated

M

#2 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 09:12 PM

Sounds like the coil's geting hot and breaking down to me though i could be wrong.

As the coil gets used it gets hot,... then it begins to breakdown inside and hence.. starts to behave eratticly giving you alsorts of wierd and wonderfull sparking issues..... leading to very lumpy engine revs etc....

Edited by Retro_10s, 17 August 2007 - 09:14 PM.

#3 Monstrous

Monstrous

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 09:14 PM

sounds like the coil's geting hot and breaking down to me though i could be wrong.

would that cause it to 'backfire' as there is unburnt fuel in the carb as it smokes when it does it

the coil does get quite hot though

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users