#1 minimatt83

minimatt83

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 04:16 PM

hi,
i have holes in both my sills (driver and passenger side), which need patched for the mot, and i was just wondering if i can use one replacement sill to cover both sides seeing as the holes are only about six inches long each? basically i need to know if the sill cross-section stays the same the whole way along the sill? it looks like it does to me, but i can't be sure, and i thought someone might have had experience with this? (i realise it changes profile where it meets the a-pillar, but i reckon it still leaves me enough room to work with).

#2 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,431 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 19 August 2007 - 04:24 PM

Better to replace both sills. It's a structural part of the car and won't be anything like as strong with a join in the middle.

I imagine, once you've got the old sills off and see how much strength is likely to be left in them, you'll be more than happy to fork out a few quid for 2 sills.

#3 minimatt83

minimatt83

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 04:45 PM

oh.....
the holes in each sill aren't really that big! i thought a patch would do. the guy at the mot said all i had to do for the re-test was seam weld a couple of patches on. i don't really want to start replacing the entire sills, as the corrosion isnt that bad. any other views?

#4 redhotmini

redhotmini

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 05:18 PM

you can weld patches on, but it will need the entire sill replacing after awhile anyway. its up to you.

#5 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 19 August 2007 - 05:26 PM

If money is an issue, just weld plates over the affected areas, unless there is rust starting, or present in other areas. Fitting new sills will probably need the rear quarter panels repainting, as you will probably burn the paint when welding the outermost lip. The cross section is the same all the way along the sill. If you do replace the sills, get the genuine type, not oversills, which trap rust and moisture and look DODGY.

Pete

#6 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,431 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 19 August 2007 - 05:58 PM

Well a seam welded patch will get you through an MoT and I suppose the car will stay on the road.
But I'd still include some sill replacement in your future plans.

Just pick up some steel sheet for the patches patching out to the seam of the existing seam will make replacing them neatly more awkward.

#7 icklemini

icklemini

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,982 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 06:08 PM

and won't be anything like as strong with a join in the middle.

common misconception that a welded joint is 'weaker' than the rest of the steel - if done correctly: it most certianly isnt
(brazing however isnt as strong)

#8 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 08:36 AM

and won't be anything like as strong with a join in the middle.

common misconception that a welded joint is 'weaker' than the rest of the steel - if done correctly: it most certianly isnt
(brazing however isnt as strong)

Thank you !!! it real annoys me how many "EXPERTS" (that know nothing!but their mates in the pub have given them advise)
tell me how to do my job !!!!!

#9 mini_kev

mini_kev

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 12:01 PM

if you are going to patch it then don't literally just patch it.... cut out the rust completely so you've got a nice neat hole then rub the paint off round this so you have nice clean metal to weld on, will make it a lot easier and will give a nice strong finish. Sorry if you knew this already, but you do often find some terrible attempts!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users