#1 l_bratch

l_bratch

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 05:43 PM

Hi all

The handbrake in my Mini basically does almost nothing! Even when it in as hard as I possibly can, the car can still be pushed back/forth, and on a hill it doesn't really help at all.

The rear brakes are ok, in that I can't spin the wheel at all with the brake on.

If I take off the drum, and press the brake pedal you can see it move out quite far, but when applying the handbrake it hardly moves out /at all/.

I've adjusted the nuts at the base of the hand brake lever so the cable is as far into the lever as it can go, but it didn't really make any difference.

Any ideas!?

Thank you!

#2 redhotmini

redhotmini

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 05:57 PM

adjust the rear brakes, there is a square adjusting peg on the back of the hub. theres a guide to doing this somewhere.

#3 l_bratch

l_bratch

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 10:37 PM

I've tried adjusting that even to the point where they are slightly rubbing without any braking, but the handbrake is still incredibly weak.

#4 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 11:22 PM

Check the wires and handbrake quadrants work and move freely.

#5 Mephiston

Mephiston

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • Local Club: London and Surrey

Posted 20 August 2007 - 01:32 PM

you may need a new handbrake cable - lift the seats up and lift the bit of carpet around the hand brake and have a look at the cable bolt on there - try tightening it up as much as possible ( if it works you may need to re adjust the brake shoes again) if that doesnt work then the cable has probably stretched - so best to get a new one

#6 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 01:43 PM

Or leave the car in gear all the time.

Desert driving trick my dad taught me. Well....no so much a trick as a way to not have to change the cable on hit land rover.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users