Neilos

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Local Club: Norfolk Mini Owners Club

Posted 20 August 2007 - 12:04 PM

Hi,

Im thinking of changing the filter from my Mayfair 1275cc single carb automatic to a K & N. I dont really know much about air filters so i was wondering if anyone could help me...

What are the the avantages of using a cone type K & N filter?
Will this improve performance?
What size do i need? (think im after a 1 1/2", but not sure, if not how can i find out).
Is there a noticeable performance difference?
Would a K & N 'element' type filter to be used in the original housing be just as good?

The reason i want to upgrade the filter is because ive been told it can make the car run better and more efficient. Ive just done an oil and filter change and plan to change the spark plugs, HT leads, coil...etc to just try and get the car running a bit better. Im not in anyway interested in trying to "pimp" up my engine as at the end of the day its an automatic.

Do you think doing these bits and pieces is worthwhile?

Thanks for any help.

#2 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 12:07 PM

Sounds like you just want to serivce it. If things are working fine already i.e the coil... changing them wont make a blind bit of difference.

Give the car a good thorough service, then go to a rolling road and get it 'tuned' there,... then you really will notice a difference in your car.

Changing the air filter will then require a new needle to alter the fuelling needs of the engine.....Something a good rolling road will do. by just changing the air filter and not adjusting the car to suit the modification,.. you could find the car will run worse.

Edited by Retro_10s, 20 August 2007 - 12:08 PM.

#3 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,431 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 20 August 2007 - 12:17 PM

Don't see what difference it being an Auto makes.

A K&N will produce a little more power than a standard filter but not masses. You'd do well to tune the car up (a carb needle swap is likely) after it's fitted but if you're planning ignition mods do those first.

A cone 'bolt on' filter will work better than one in the original filter housing but also makes a bit more noise (like having a vacuum cleaner nozzle under the bonnet). Foam filters make a bit less noise.

The main advantage of K&N type filters is they don't clog up like the paper elements so the car will stay in tune longer, giving a little more power and economy. Electronic ignition would be another top mod for a standard car.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users