Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Local Club: Jakarta Morris Club

Posted 21 August 2007 - 08:31 AM

Hi guys, a minor problem that's been bugging me for some time:

Attached File  DSC070821150601.jpg   191.56K   10 downloads

Looking at the pic, I know it's the vacuum unit for the fuel return pipe. The problem is, whenever the engine is getting up to temperature, the idle would be unstable and eventually died out. I noticed that by pulling out the pipe that goes back to the tank solve the problem. And I never put it back in place... It never acting out when the engine was cold though.

My questions are: How exactly the unit works? Is it okay to just leave the pipe open, or does it have to push the fuel vapour back to the tank? What could be the cause of this prob, and how to solve it?

Thanks guys...

#2 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 06:20 PM

That part isn't fitted to our Minis over here!

Can you tell us more about the emissions system fitted to your car, then we can work out how it works. It could be similar to the vacuum valve in the charcoal canister systems used here, or it could be a vacuum pump as it seems to have a pretty large diaphragm. Need to know more....

#3 Aria Aradhea

Aria Aradhea

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 09:24 AM

I believe it's the same as the charcoal canister type, but I'll try to get some more pictures...

#4 Aria Aradhea

Aria Aradhea

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 02:00 AM

Except from the cannister and a standard fit catalyst, I believe the emission system is not that different from UK cars.
Here are some new pics. You could see the hoses/pipes it attaches to...

Attached File  DSC070823083401.jpg   262.78K   4 downloads

Attached File  DSC070823083402.jpg   223.33K   4 downloads

Attached File  DSC070823083501.jpg   208.46K   4 downloads

Is it possible that the blue air flow pushes the fuel vapour to go back into the tank? And the cannister's there to make sure that fuel vapour don't find itself crawling into the crankcase by creating a oneway flow? If so, I have a suspicion that the air doesn't push enough the vapour back, so it became stagnant and in turn making the engine stall... Does it make sense?

edit: the blue-colored air flow is actually the other way round, it sucks air into the carb and into the crankcase..

Edited by Aria Aradhea, 23 August 2007 - 07:10 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users