#1 beavis182

beavis182

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 08:24 PM

as above

i thought it was the brakes but sometimes when just idling and i reving her she makes the sqeeling noise too. its very loud and just started happening yesterday in the rain.

doesnt do it when ive pulled away and got over about 3000 revs and going into 2nd.

any thoughts?

#2 chrisholland1983

chrisholland1983

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts
  • Local Club: Humberside Mini Club

Posted 21 August 2007 - 08:26 PM

fan belt? :thumbsup:

#3 beavis182

beavis182

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 08:44 PM

umm yea cud be. is that easy to change myself or best take to a local garage to do?

#4 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 09:10 PM

Easy to change by yourself. But if it's sqeeling you can tighten it for now. You want to be able to turn it 90 degrees on the longest length when tight....or is it 180

#5 beavis182

beavis182

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 09:12 PM

excellent, im clueless about engines etc so will get my haynes manual out and ave a go myself and see what happens. wats the worst that cud happen :thumbsup:)

#6 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 10:44 PM

Belt snaps. Thats about the worse. You'll need to slacken the alternator brackets. Do the top two (the bolts) with pair of 1/2inch spanners then you have to get to the twiddly nylock nut below the alternator. When thats slack take a rubber mallet (small) and place the handle behind the alternator so it's inbetween the alternator and block. Pust the mallet head toward the cabin of the car and the alternator will move out. Get the belt tight then nip up the lower under alternator nut. When the tension is right tighten everything up, remove tools and restart.

If squeal persists then replace and clean the pulley up. Mine uses to squeal when I put oil or splashed anti-freeze on them by mistake.

Get a new belt anyway if your tightening it up. If you don't use it keep it as a replacement in the boot. Should fit in the spare tire no probs.

#7 beavis182

beavis182

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 06:12 PM

well just had a quick look and it seems pretty tight to be, but will have a go at changing it at the weekend.

#8 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 08:48 PM

the belt could already be too tight and then it could be the water pump making the noise.

you should be able to press the belt down without about 10mm deflection

#9 beavis182

beavis182

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 09:38 PM

god this sounds like a job for a garage. the belt seems tight and barely presses down in the middle.

when pulling away it screeches up until about 3500 revs then stops but does it all the way up and when i blip the throttle when stopped.

#10 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 23 August 2007 - 09:23 AM

If it'snot the fan belt, then dry bearings in the alternator or as above, fubared water pump

#11 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,457 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 23 August 2007 - 09:32 AM

You don't keep guinea pigs by any chance?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users