#1 jamesheath

jamesheath

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 12:03 PM

Hi all,

looking to get some swanky minilites or similar for the ole city to give him a bit of glam! I am currently running on the standard 165/70 12 inch steel rims.

After looking for what is for sale I seems to be offered either 5x12 minilites or 4.5x12 minilights. I take it the 4.5s are a little bit thinner. If that is the case do I need to fit spacers???

Sorry for the dumb a@s question. >_<

Cheers

James

Anyone got a set with good tyres for sale? Find me in the wanted section.

#2 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,435 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 22 August 2007 - 12:11 PM

I doubt it, the offset of the wheel is what matters. Ideally, you want the centre of the tyres contact patch on the axis of the ball joints that's more likely to be the case with a narrower wheel. Either 5 or 4 1/2's should do this pretty well, 4 1/2's may be a little narrow for 165's

#3 Scruffs

Scruffs

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 04:08 PM

Hi all,

looking to get some swanky minilites or similar for the ole city to give him a bit of glam! I am currently running on the standard 165/70 12 inch steel rims.

After looking for what is for sale I seems to be offered either 5x12 minilites or 4.5x12 minilights. I take it the 4.5s are a little bit thinner. If that is the case do I need to fit spacers???

Sorry for the dumb a@s question. >_<

Cheers

James

I'd personally not run spacers, for the same reason Ethel said above...unnecessarily increasing the scrub radius (more kickback through steering). If you fit 12x5 minilites with 165 tyres they should fill the arches nicely without needing spacers. I don't have this setup personally though so I'd wait til somebody who does posts up! Is it minilites you're after?

al

#4 jamesheath

jamesheath

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 08:07 PM

I'd personally not run spacers, for the same reason Ethel said above...unnecessarily increasing the scrub radius (more kickback through steering). If you fit 12x5 minilites with 165 tyres they should fill the arches nicely without needing spacers. I don't have this setup personally though so I'd wait til somebody who does posts up! Is it minilites you're after?

al
[/quote]

Yup ,minilites or similar folks!

James

#5 dribble

dribble

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 03:10 PM

Hi all,

Sorry for the dumb a@s question. :lol:

Cheers

James

What did you go for James? Im in a similar situation and would be intrested in what you did.

Ta

Daz.

#6 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 14 November 2007 - 05:02 PM

if your fitting 165 tyres your more than lightly going to need a small 5mm spacer on the rear so that the tyres clear the shocks

#7 Jupitus

Jupitus

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts
  • Local Club: Breathemini

Posted 14 November 2007 - 05:12 PM

PM Juju to be honest:

http://www.theminifo...showtopic=55867

;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic