Photo
- - - - -

And Another Thing.... Anything To Bare In Mind When Plumbing An Mg Metro 1275 In My Mini

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Pezz361356

Pezz361356

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 04:01 PM

The engine i'm rebuilding at the mo is an MG metro 1275, anyone know if theres anything I should bare in mind such as specific wiring requirements, specific parts etc? I just dont want to put it together and find I'm missing something or used something wrong an have to take it apart again.

Once again cheers people......

>_<

#2 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,432 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 23 August 2007 - 04:30 PM

Between the original mini lump and the Metty you should have all the bits you need.

Work out the clutch before you fit it are they both verto, non verto, or one of each?

Engine mounts & stabiliser
Heater / manifold plumbing, bypass hose?
Ignition wiring you'll want to use the Metty dizzy is it electronic what was the mini?
Starter motor will need to be off the same engine as the clutch if one's pre engaged and the other inertia.
Speedo pinion?

#3 Jupitus

Jupitus

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts
  • Local Club: Breathemini

Posted 23 August 2007 - 05:57 PM

I'm putting a metro 1275 unit in my 1985 city e, with quite a few mods too... is yours being modified along the way?

#4 Pezz361356

Pezz361356

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 08:23 PM

I'm putting a metro 1275 unit in my 1985 city e, with quite a few mods too... is yours being modified along the way?

Yeh mines going in an 1988 city e, i've got a stage 3 head so yeh will be slightly mod'ed

#5 turny

turny

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 09:33 PM

I put a mg metro engine in a mini 22 years ago if I remember correctly I only thing that was a problem was clearance of the oil filter.
The mg metro has a oil cooler fitted and a longer oil filter as it goes 12000 miles between oil changes but the standard mini filter fits just change the oil after 6000 miles, but I still had to cut a nick out of the front subframe because of the oil cooler sandwich which put a extra 2 inchs on the length.
Please remember this was 22 years ago 1985 how time flies
thanks turny

#6 Pezz361356

Pezz361356

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 07:59 AM

I put a mg metro engine in a mini 22 years ago if I remember correctly I only thing that was a problem was clearance of the oil filter.
The mg metro has a oil cooler fitted and a longer oil filter as it goes 12000 miles between oil changes but the standard mini filter fits just change the oil after 6000 miles, but I still had to cut a nick out of the front subframe because of the oil cooler sandwich which put a extra 2 inchs on the length.
Please remember this was 22 years ago 1985 how time flies
thanks turny

Thats a year before I was born, but I'll believe you hehe, ok sounds likes it on now.

#7 schneill

schneill

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Local Club: Tyred And Exhausted

Posted 24 August 2007 - 11:17 AM

You can take the metro oil filter housing off and fit the mini one, then you don't get the extra two inches of length. Also you don't get some other fiddly bit which is probably the bit you take off. I don't know what it does but i'm not sure its entirely necessary, mine hasn't got it fitted. Use the standard mini thermostat housing as well as this saves problems with extra bits of plumbing on the cooling system. If you want a heater tap to go to your interior heater you'll need to get the head drilled and tapped where the heater tap would usually go on the mini engine.

Edit: didn't read the turny's post in too much detail, he's obviously answered the oil filter housing thing

Edited by schneill, 24 August 2007 - 11:18 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users