5 replies to this topic

#1 Bruno

Bruno

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 02:16 PM

im just about to start rebuilding and tuning a 998 engine. i have a stage one kit to go on and i was thinking of these other mods

high lift cam
lightened flywheel
ported and polished and mildly opened out head... i dont want it to drink gas.
uprated dizzy and coil.

due to the cam im going to leave the roller tip rockers, i keep hearing about them ruining the valves.

i was also thinking of updating the clutch... tho i have no idea what im looking at clutch wise, ill take a look once its off the block.

what im asking is, what kind of cam should i be looking at, fast road ect ect. nothing that is gonna make me stall and cut out every 5 mins.
also, how easy is a flywheel to fit?

any other suggestions on low cost 'bolt on' mods would be great.

also any tips and tricks would be good. this is something im very much new too.

all i want is a revy and 998 with some decent get up and go. but i dont want to spend a fortune as there is body work ect ect that need attention.

thanks.
Luke.

#2 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 02:27 PM

kent 266 cam or sw5-07 swiftune will be sweet in a 998. what about the stage 1 kit? dont go anything bigger than 1.75" on the exhaust and try and get the kit with the freeflow manifold. might also be worth checking the gearbox too as it will be a total waste if it goes bang. lastly a good rolling road tune up is needed to get the best from any mods.

#3 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 02:31 PM

Be careful with your choices Bruno.

Are you doing a FULL rebuild from the crank up as a main strap would be a good idea. Then you can wack on as much stuff as you like without the bottom end ripping itself out.

Now then cam a old school 997 Cooper cam would be a good bet or a 256 or 266 from Kent or a Sw5 from Swiftune would be a good bet.

Porting the head and what have you wouldn't make the car drink. Many of the "go faster" stuff dose help the efficanty of the engine giving more MPG. Which is why stage 1 kits are so popular as well as the extra poke they provide.

As for the flywheel, steel would be best cost areound £100 from mini spares grab an orange dot spring plate and an AP clutch and your away.

#4 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 03:42 PM

no need for a main strap unless you are gonna be driving high rpm for long periods.

#5 Bruno

Bruno

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 05:55 PM

yer im doing a full rebuild. started today, just need to get something to pull the fly wheel out before i can start again.

i have the stage1 kit, got it for £80 from ebay and has a DTM... its been sat in my shed for about a year now, the engine has been sat there for about 10 months... i didn’t know what i wanted to do with it till now.

have a bent subframe so i thought whilst thats out i may as well use what i have.

iv read about the 997 cams but ware can i get hold of one? the main thing here is cost...

im a student who works part time at a co-op and the car itself needs some decent body work, leaks, a panels, wings need rubbing down ect ect.

so im looking or most bang for my buck.

this is all really helpful.... keep it going ;)

luke

#6 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 09:16 PM

im sure kent or piper can do you a similar profile to the 997.

Edited by mikecmini, 28 August 2007 - 09:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users