Photo
- - - - -

Starting Problems - Starter Motor Doesn't Stop!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PPK1000

PPK1000

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 04:57 PM

Have a problem in that once stating the engine, the starter motor continually runs untill the battery dies.

I have recently changed the solenoid due to one of the connections breaking off.

New solenoid starts the engine fine . Once driving, randomly, the starter motor kicks in again and won't stop!!!!

Do I have a dodgy solenoid (is it getting stuck) or is there a problem with earthing the solenoid properly????

Cheers for your help!

#2 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 28 August 2007 - 05:23 PM

You've tried two solenoids but the problem is still there and shows up occasionally while driving? No, I wouldn't look for an earth problem.

It sounds like you've got a problem where power is reaching the solenoid from the ignition switch when it's not supposed to. The problem could be in the switch itself, or you could have a short between the white/red wire and an adjacent wire.

One way to sort this out would be to wire in a test lamp. Put a small instrument bulb on the end of two lengths of wire. Place the bulb in the car where you can see it and earth one wire inside the passenger compartment. Run the other wire through the firewall to the white/red wire terminal on the starter solenoid. When you turn the car over on the starter you should see the test lamp light up. I suspect that when you hear your starter engaging when it's NOT supposed to... you'll also see the test lamp light up. This would indicate a problem in the ignition switch wiring circuit. On the other hand, if the next time your starter powers up on its own the test lamp is NOT on, this would indicate that somehow the contacts inside the solenoid have come into contact... a faulty solenoid.

#3 PPK1000

PPK1000

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 09:12 PM

Cheers doc,

Problem didn't happen before the new solenoid was fitted. the old solenoid was changed because the connection of the ignition wire conection had deteriorated and broken off. Thought it was time it was rewnewed.

The running of the starter motor has only started happening since the new solenoid was fitted. I have checked the earth so i'm suspecting a faulty solenoid. The starter motor does sometimes cut out again if it is given a knock - giving me reason to think it's dodgy!

#4 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 29 August 2007 - 11:59 AM

If you can "whack" the solenoid and it stops, it does sound like a pair of stuck internal contacts. I hope you can exchange it for one that works properly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users