#1 paulyt

paulyt

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Local Club: na

Posted 29 August 2007 - 12:16 PM

Does anyone out there know if an automatic gearbox from a 998 mini is the same as the 1275 autobox? would be from a similar year. i have a 1275 with a dodgy box.. have started to get desperate in the search for a decent engine and box to do straight swap and am now looking at gearboxes as they appear cheaper and the money saved will pay the extra labour (i hope ) i believe that the lucky people with a manual gearbox can interchange but unsure about us two-peddlers.

any help with either advise ( please dont suggest converting to manual as thats not an option ) or if you have a decent 1275 engine and good box for sale , please let me know , and thanks in advance. email if neccessary .

cheers paul.

#2 ROD

ROD

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,215 posts
  • Local Club: MCR

Posted 29 August 2007 - 04:29 PM

Does anyone out there know if an automatic gearbox from a 998 mini is the same as the 1275 autobox? would be from a similar year. i have a 1275 with a dodgy box.. have started to get desperate in the search for a decent engine and box to do straight swap and am now looking at gearboxes as they appear cheaper and the money saved will pay the extra labour (i hope ) i believe that the lucky people with a manual gearbox can interchange but unsure about us two-peddlers.

any help with either advise ( please dont suggest converting to manual as thats not an option ) or if you have a decent 1275 engine and good box for sale , please let me know , and thanks in advance. email if neccessary .

cheers paul.

If you PM Guessworks he'll be able to help.

#3 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 29 August 2007 - 10:35 PM

No they are not, unfortunately....

Well technically, they are ish, they are the same in basic construction, but the 1275's were metro auto's put into a mini, where as the 998's are based on the original mini auto design...

1275's are type 2 AP auto boxes, 998's are type 1,

Those used ont he 1275 have the Park and 998's don't, and there's a few other cosmetic differences like the start inhibitor is on the front of the type 2 and it's not on the type 1, internally they share the majority of components.

Edited by GuessWorks, 29 August 2007 - 10:39 PM.

#4 paulyt

paulyt

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Local Club: na

Posted 14 September 2007 - 02:51 PM

automatic problems may have been resolved, now have a selcection of minis to swap engines around in . do you know if a 92 1275 engine could be mated to a 1000 early autobox and, brother has a 1000 clubman auto and wants to keep it auto but with bigger engine, my 92 1275 has good engine but C**p box?

#5 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 02:54 PM

Given whats been said above, I say it isn't possible to put 1254 auto boxes onto 1000 engines, or vice versa.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users