#1 lewis

lewis

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey

Posted 24 January 2005 - 06:08 PM

im planning to get a clubman if all goes to plan and next january if i achieve 1 years ncb.

so this means im gona start saving for one, but i dont know what years best, where from and how much to get one for.

so if anyone could give me a rough idea on prices on a mini clubman then i will be very grateful.

And also where the best place to buy one would be greatly appreciated.

p.s for those that dont know i live on jersey so one from scotland is out of the question ! :thumbsup:

#2 clubman katie B.F

clubman katie B.F

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 01:00 PM

i personally prefer the older solid subframe ones, the bonus is you don't pay road tax on them :thumbsup: :) :P

1275gt's are cool as frock but are gettin a little rare now, got mine for 1500 a year ago, there is one on ebay going for 2500. the guy at P&L told me an absolute minter of an early (pre 1973) 1275gt with all original kit could go for upto 10,000. i would love to think so, but it does seem a little too much though

clubby estates are reall cool as frock

it's hard to give a guide price....how long is a piece of string!!
people do appear to be appreciating them a little more now, we were the ugly cousin of the mini family at one point

there are a couple of issues regarding spare parts, i don't think you can get hold of the bumper overiders anymore new, but they come up regularly on ebay for a tenner, the same goes for the side/indicator lights.

new shells are now available for rubber subframe clubbies, so there are no problems with this anymore.

another plus side is that the engines are easier to work on as there is a couple of inches nore rom under the bonnet, so you can do your points without takin the grill off.

They are such a 70's icon, if you see a clubby then you know it was built in the seventies, where as a round nose mini could be anything from 59 to 2000 or whatever it was when they finished making them

have just bought a rebuilt primed clubby shell for under 300 on ebay

#3 lewis

lewis

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,322 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 05:06 PM

thanks for the help clubman katie made my idea a bit less foggy , The problem with living in jersey is that all the clubmans which were around are taken and cared for, and if i found one over here im sure it will of already been found by a mini enthusiast and waiting for its restoration!

I think ebay will prob be the way to get on aswell, thanks again for the help :thumbsup:

#4 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 25 January 2005 - 05:17 PM

Nick's right, they are slowly becoming more recognised, but you can still get one with decent spec very cheaply. I seem to remember Bluemini's fully prepped flipfront 1380 (?) Clubby going very cheaply indeed for its spec.

You'll struggle to get one not needing work for probably less than a a grand, but below that you can get all sorts. I paid £230 for mine, it needed sills, a bit of work on the drivers floorpan and some work around the heelboard. Oh, and a bit on the front panel. Engine was sound though, and interior in good nick.

A lot of the later 1275GT's with 8.4" discs and 12" wheels are coming up now, needing a bit of TLC. Most of the earlier GT's with S discs, solid mounted subframe and earlier grille, steering wheel etc have been snapped up and restored or not for sale, but you may be lucky and find one, I personally think they're much nicer than the later ones. 10" wheels all the way.

Clubby estate is a good alternative too, you can still get some very cheaply, but as standard I don't think BL did a particularly great job with colours or spec. If you 1275'd one and S disc'ed one, and found a nice two tone colour for it, I think you can make a really good motor. I'd love to do that someday, end up with a Clubby saloon, Clubby estate, and Pick-Up.

So depending on condition, I think you're talking anything really from £100 for a rough one, up to sort of 3 grand for a useable modified one. It depends on the work. And as Nick says, you can work on them quite a bit easier. I can take my dizzy out without taking the grille off, and change the oil etc, frontal access is quite a bit better. And the view out of the windscreen is, in my opinion, much better. A nice flat bonnet, a little ridge in the middle, none of this lumpy bumpy roundnose stuff :tongue:

Best place to look is in the back of the Minimag's, but also keep an eye out in the local free ads paper if you get them over on Jersey. eBay is a great place too.

#5 lewis

lewis

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,322 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 05:43 PM

We usually get the free ads and the internet ads but nothing usually turns up.

I paid £230 for mine

now that sounds like a good price, If i buy it from england il have to get it re-registered as a jersey car and get it checked over, but itd be damn worth it, hell if i had 10 grand i would buy a mint clubman like club katie bf described :cheese:

thanks for the help, id love a gt :thumbsup: who wouldnt. but anyhting would do me fine.

#6 Sam

Sam

Wish i was in T.O.W.I.E

• Members
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 06:09 PM

I think ebay will prob be the way to get on aswell  :thumbsup:

Definatly the way to go, mine was a bargain!

Clubmans are so much better then the normal roundnose. More space, stronger (many are ziebarted), and I reakon they look better. Infact, to be honest I didn't even consider buying a round nose. :tongue:

#7 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 25 January 2005 - 06:18 PM

Check the ebay thread..

http://www.theminifo...?showtopic=5693

#8 lewis

lewis

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,322 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 06:45 PM

Definatly the way to go, mine was a bargain

yes it was a bargain!! :thumbsup: :)

I wanted to spend loads on my round nosed mini but after getting prices for these i think il just get a stage one kit and just start saving for a clubby

#9 t@z

t@z

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,712 posts
  • Local Club: www.turbominis.co.uk

Posted 26 January 2005 - 02:17 PM

depends there was a clubman 1275tg on ebay what was restored 3 yrs ago and in good nick, and that didn't sell could have been a right bargin

#10 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 05:46 PM

My mate Rob has just bought a 1275gt ,10s ,free tax it needs a bit of work but has a 1380 with a 40 on a long innlet , twin tanks,been off the road , dry storage for 12 years :gasp:
Paid £750 :grin: :wales:

#11 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 05:49 PM

Just before christmass i sold a rough but saveable 1275GT shell(no log book) with a load of spares for £150 , the bloke came from Irland to see it , Payed but hasent colected it yet .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users