#1 Mr Duck

Mr Duck

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Local Club: Clubless!

Posted 30 August 2007 - 03:52 PM

Ok, now when Paddy was getting his front end resprayed after getting some rust remedy, it appears that the roof and bonnet stripes have been 'spotted' with paint. Almost as though the roof has developed bits of 'rust mould' in places.

Anyway, would it be ok to buy some white spray paint to restore the surface while giving me a shiny surface, or will I have to laquer the restored paint afterwards?

#2 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 04:07 PM

I would've thought you could buff it out rather than respray the roof., Go and buy some Farécla G3. and get buffing! you might find this gets rid of most of the spots and gives you a wondeful shine!

got any pics of the spots in question?

#3 Mr Duck

Mr Duck

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 04:22 PM

*does a quick Google-fest to find out what G3 actually is*

The spots are 2mm at their largest, and most are just dry spray! As a result, taking pics might be on the tricky side! :dontgetit: Seems like this G3 stuff might do a treat. What should I use to apply & remove this stuff?

#4 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 04:40 PM

Rub it on,... buff it off.

you could do it by hand, or you could by a motorised jobby with a mop attatchment. but you have to be careful with them not to burn through the paint.

#5 Mini_Magic

Mini_Magic

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 04:51 PM

T-cut

#6 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 05:17 PM

T-cut will not be abrasive enough, he states the paint is 2mm in places!!!

as said above, using decent quality products will waork such as the Farcéla range of cutting pastes and rubbing compunds.

start with G3 and the move onto G10.

#7 Mr Duck

Mr Duck

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 05:56 PM

T-cut will not be abrasive enough, he states the paint is 2mm in places!!!

as said above, using decent quality products will waork such as the Farcéla range of cutting pastes and rubbing compunds.

start with G3 and the move onto G10.

That's 2mm WIDE as opposed to thick! ^_^ Have had a look on Ebay, and I think I'll be having a car product spendfest at the weekend. :dontgetit:

#8 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 30 August 2007 - 08:06 PM

Bring it back to the garage! If it's overspray from the paint job they did, then they should remove it or re-paint it for free. If they don't, threaten them with court action!

#9 Mr Duck

Mr Duck

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 08:25 PM

Bring it back to the garage! If it's overspray from the paint job they did, then they should remove it or re-paint it for free. If they don't, threaten them with court action!

In an ideal world, that'd be the 1st course of action - however, all the body & paintwork was done in Northern Ireland, then driven down to Basingstoke for nearly 450miles! :dontgetit:

#10 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,606 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 07:57 PM

ooh righty.. :D G3 is the answer then! Good luck!

#11 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • 7,215 posts
  • Local Club: central minis

Posted 31 August 2007 - 08:03 PM

ooh righty.. :D G3 is the answer then! Good luck!

polish-mop-tatstic with the G3 :)
dotnt forget the faracle paste is available in various grades - you dont have to dive in with grade 3 - maybe grade 10 will do what you need but be less agressive ?

in the grading system 1 is quite abrasive - 10 is very gentle and really just for the final buff and polish.

#12 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,606 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 08:22 PM

You get G1? every day is a school day.. :D

#13 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • 7,215 posts
  • Local Club: central minis

Posted 31 August 2007 - 08:56 PM

You get G1? every day is a school day.. :D

My local outfit recently started doing the full range of fara-panalia and i was gob-struck how much gear there is - we started to use the G1 on RP painted MDF units if they get bashed or marked - it polishes out the marks but doesn't leave such a glossy finish - G3 buffs to a shine on RP which as standard is meant to have quite a matt finish, so when you buff marks out with G3 they stand out even more as a polished area.

WE also use the G3 and G10 to polish Acid Cat laquer on woodgrain finished MDF panels - the G10 makes it look like glass but you've only got to fart near it and the scratches show up real quick.

I'm not sure how long his stock will last but the rep persuaded him to have a bit of everything - I guess he'll just keep in stock what people want to buy.

On another note - who would you recommend for GTi spares - my same guy has just stopped doing devilbliss spares and swapped over to Sata guns.

#14 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,606 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 06:47 AM

Any good motor body supplier should be able to get you service parts, there are a few companies on ebay and on tinternet that seem quite good, just search about. OR you could just get a Satajet RP! the best gun ever. The difference is amazing, especially with lacquer using a 1.3 setup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users