#1 Exxy51

Exxy51

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 06:01 PM

Hi!
I wonder if anyone could help, ive rebuilt my 1989 mini and ive partly started to rewire the whole car. im experties have now run out and so im thinking of paying somone to do the wiring. Could anyone give me an idea of cost ? and a possible electrition in the midlands area!

Thanks!

#2 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 06:14 PM

What you stuck on? A mini loom is pretty basic.

#3 Exxy51

Exxy51

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 06:18 PM

i know the main positive cable runns under the car etc. i just didnt want to bodge it my self and cause a fire etc.. so i wanted a professional to do it then id be sure i wouldnt have truble with it.

#4 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 06:21 PM

are you using a new loom or are you trying to make your own?

might be easier to buy the loom you need and then just fit that(if it is not what you are already doing?)

#5 Exxy51

Exxy51

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 06:38 PM

Im using the old loom, But its in good condition ! ive done most of it, i just wanted a quote for somone to finish it and check everything.

#6 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 06:52 PM

What have you actually done to the loom outta interest? just replaced wires and connectors?

#7 clubman katie B.F

clubman katie B.F

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 08:35 PM

i re-furbed my loom for pennies, removed the binding tape washed it and rebound it, and replaced all bullets and connectors. there is a company called vehicle wiring products that do mail order on all the stuff you need. the most expensive bit was the bullet terminal clamp, 30 quid i think but it was invaluabe for my resto. as the man says, mini wiring is very basic. find the appropriate diagram in the haynes manual, enlarge it on a photo copier to A3 size or bigger, then you can colour the wires in if you want to make it easier. then be methodical and take your time. black is earth, white is ignition, purple is your constant live for horn and interior lights. brown is ignition fed live, to the starter if i rember rightly. am thinking blue is your main beam, and reds and greens are indicators, don't quote me on that tho. where in the midlands are you mate?

Edited by clubman katie B.F, 30 August 2007 - 08:36 PM.

#8 yorkshirechris

yorkshirechris

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,873 posts
  • Local Club: www.lcmoc.com

Posted 30 August 2007 - 08:48 PM

Re-wiring is quite a big job for a novice, I've had a couple of problems with my electrics which are now more or less sorted, luckily I've had explained in leymans terms what needs doing and I work with wires daily so I'm doing the job myself. I'm also stripping back the wires a bit further and putting new connectors on, just to make sure. I'll be doing this on everything I come across, as long as I'm confident that I can do it properly. I think it's interesting :dontgetit: but some people think it's a pain in the backside so each to their own! I suppose if mine goes horribly wrong then it will be a pain in the backside!

#9 LilacLilly

LilacLilly

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Local Club: M.A.D MINI SOCIETY / ABERYSTWYTH

Posted 01 September 2007 - 04:28 PM

ive just bought a new complete mk4 mini wiring loom, and have never fitted one! So any tips except for the obvious would be great! I havent a clue where to start although i have also blown up the diagram from the haynes manual to A3! Ive only got until 27th of september!!! and she is still completely bear!!! If any one wants to come and help me im in mid wales!!!!

Keep an eye on my progress with my re-shell project called Lilly Baby!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users