4 replies to this topic

#1 TopCatCustom

TopCatCustom

Previously known as C4NN0N.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 12:32 PM

Don't have an old haynes manual which I think are the ones that tell you how to do more stuff with the gearbox, how do I get the layshaft out to get access to my centre oil pickup pipe? Want to strengthen a weld on it, Thanks

#2 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 12:39 PM

Yeah, you have to pop the fixed set of gears out (no idea if thats what the leyshaft is but its the set of gears at the front of the box). Pop the shalft out and then you can roll it up a bit and get the center pickup out or in.

Tis on the mini builder DVD. Thats the only reason I know it.

*waits to be proved very wrong*

#3 jayare

jayare

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 02:10 PM

You do need to roll the laygear up on the mainshaft gears - to do this you need to undo the 3 or 4 bolts that hold the 'C' shaped bearing retainer that goes round the final drive pinion - this will let you remove the triangular shaped plate which locates in a slot in the end of the layshaft - you can then push the shaft out of the laygear. Make sure you get the thrust washer plates back in when you roll the laygear back down - a bit of grease on the back helps to hold them in place. Also make sure any shims from behind the bearing retainer go back & the bolts are torqued up. Job Done!

#4 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 02 September 2007 - 06:40 AM

when putting back together, rather than just using the shims which are already there, check the gap, it can and does change over time....

#5 TopCatCustom

TopCatCustom

Previously known as C4NN0N.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 02:25 PM

Cheers guys all done :wub:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users