10 replies to this topic

#1 brandondonat

brandondonat

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 01:16 PM

The throttle cable on my Mini is sticking. When I give it some gas it is just fine but when I take my foot off the gas it sticks. I then have to pull the pedal out with the tip of my foot.

I have changed the throttle cable out already (now a new cable). I have also re-routed the cable so that there is no tight turns or tension that may hold taunt. It is not rusty at all near the pedal as it has just undergone a full resto. I am sure this is a simple fix... anyone have any ideas? Cheers.

#2 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 01:18 PM

Check everything on the carb is well lubricated,... could be sticky retrurn springs... Also lubricate the pedal hinge...

Edited by Retro_10s, 02 September 2007 - 01:19 PM.

#3 brandondonat

brandondonat

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 02:19 PM

The carb is all cleaned up and lubed with wd40. Thought that it may have been the prob at first so done that. Pedal hinge has also taken a coat of wd40. It has to be something very simple.

I was thinking of taking the cable out of the shieldind and putting a tad of grease on the whole thing... I dont see why it should really need it to be honest but just an idea. Any more ideas? Cheers.

#4 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 02:24 PM

Pop to you local bike shop and pick up a gear shift cable then replace your throttle with it.

Or a little trick I did on El Gordo with her sticking HS4 was to take the stock return spring and chop a length off then bend down a ring of the spring and bend that into a hook. Then it pulls harder. Take a week to get used to it though.

#5 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 02:37 PM

Excellent tip on the Bike cable Adam,....And change the WD40 for a proper lubricant,... 3-1 or something.

I was thinking about the spring etc but didn't think of cutting it,... Another thing would be to prop the acclerator pedal up with a tin of paint or something, pull all the slack from the cable tight, and then re tighten it to the carb.

I had to do this on my clubman. Made it so much more driveable.

Edited by Retro_10s, 02 September 2007 - 02:37 PM.

#6 ginigwunkle

ginigwunkle

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,018 posts
  • Local Club: sheffield mini club

Posted 02 September 2007 - 05:48 PM

its not routed near the exhaust or anything HOT is it?

my cable was routed round near the exhaust and started to melt when it got warm and stuck!

#7 brandondonat

brandondonat

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 06:17 PM

Very good idea on cutting the spring. I will first try to wind it around to see if that will give me much tension. All of the slack is out of the cable so will give the spring trick a go and see what happens. If that does not work I will try to cut it. After it is all in good working order I will substitute the wd40 with some silicone spray. It is longer lasting than wd40.

It is not routed near the exhaust fortunately. I have seen some cables that have been and it looked melted... cant be good.

Cheers

#8 jonny d

jonny d

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 02 September 2007 - 09:24 PM

Hi ya go on the minispares site they do an uprated cable (used on the rally cars) it has a nylon sleeve inside the outer cable and is longer
so takes more of a sweeping curve, I have one on my mini and is so smooth in operation.

#9 brandondonat

brandondonat

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 08:17 AM

That looks nice! Link: http://www.minispare....aspx?pid=37558 in case anyone else wants to see it. Might give one of those a go as it is probably better than the stock one anyway. In the mean time I will twist the spring. When I fix the prob I will put it back on this blog so that I can help someone else from an irritating little problem. Kinda embarassing when ya drivin through town and go to change gears and engine is revving like crazy because the throttle is stuck. Cheers All!

#10 Matt

Matt

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts
  • Local Club: The mini forum - i live here

Posted 03 September 2007 - 08:37 AM

i had the same problem with mine...

remove the cable from the sleeving and see if any of the wires have become frayed and twisted.. mine used to stick at half throttle... and it turned out to be one thread stuck half way along.

#11 Gr4h4m

Gr4h4m

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts
  • Local Club: Club less.....

Posted 03 September 2007 - 08:57 AM

I use the super slick push bike cables very good last much longer IMO

Edited by Gr4h4m, 03 September 2007 - 08:57 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users