#1 jgch

jgch

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 11:39 PM

Hi,

I own a 2000 Mini Cooper Sport special Mexican edition, I bought it new in DEC-99 and has around 1,200 miles on the clock.

Since I bought the car it has had handling problems, when you get to a fast corner it will not feel stable the rear will go out of control very easily, and another problem is that it bounces a lot, here in Mexico there are lots of speed bumps and everytime I go through one the car will bounce a lot it does not feel solid.
Another problem is that once I go past around 45mph, the steering wheel vibrates a lot, I have had the car balanced many times and it still does this.

Does anyone know what might be the problems??

Any advice will be very appreciated.

#2 Elisha-The-Cooper

Elisha-The-Cooper

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts
  • Local Club: leeds m.o.c

Posted 04 September 2007 - 04:35 AM

Hi,

I own a 2000 Mini Cooper Sport special Mexican edition, I bought it new in DEC-99 and has around 1,200 miles on the clock.

Since I bought the car it has had handling problems, when you get to a fast corner it will not feel stable the rear will go out of control very easily, and another problem is that it bounces a lot, here in Mexico there are lots of speed bumps and everytime I go through one the car will bounce a lot it does not feel solid.
Another problem is that once I go past around 45mph, the steering wheel vibrates a lot, I have had the car balanced many times and it still does this.

Does anyone know what might be the problems??

Any advice will be very appreciated.

steering should not do that at all , mine can reach 100 without a JUDDER, as for handleing is buy a new decent set of shock absorbers and a set of adjusta-rides, adjust rides arnt vital but if you thing your car sits too high then lowering it is a good option. i know imnot been much help at all, sorry x

#3 Scruffs

Scruffs

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 08:42 AM

Hey man, as above dampers could be suspect. I'd expect the fronts as they could cause oversteer on turn-in if they're really knackered, like, both having no oil in knackered....which would be odd for a new car...

8 years is a long time to be putting up with this!! but I guess you don't put too many miles on it...Do you have an MOT equivalent in mexico? seems strange no-one would pick up on a knackered damper so good chance it could be something else...subframe mountings, front and rear, suspension bearings/bushings front and rear, but since it was from new maybe it had a duff wheel alignment?...Has it been getting worse? Hows your tyre wear? Get the car up in the air and tug about on the wheels just in case...

#4 Matt

Matt

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts
  • Local Club: The mini forum - i live here

Posted 04 September 2007 - 08:46 AM

i have EXACTLY the same problem with mine!

and still not really had much in the way of resultss...

#5 jgch

jgch

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 02:08 PM

Hey man, as above dampers could be suspect. I'd expect the fronts as they could cause oversteer on turn-in if they're really knackered, like, both having no oil in knackered....which would be odd for a new car...

8 years is a long time to be putting up with this!! but I guess you don't put too many miles on it...Do you have an MOT equivalent in mexico? seems strange no-one would pick up on a knackered damper so good chance it could be something else...subframe mountings, front and rear, suspension bearings/bushings front and rear, but since it was from new maybe it had a duff wheel alignment?...Has it been getting worse? Hows your tyre wear? Get the car up in the air and tug about on the wheels just in case...

Hi

Thanks for your reply, In Mexico we dont have an MOT equivalent, there is only a once a year smog check but you can get away it is very easy.
I never drive the car until recently as I have been selling my collection but the Mini is a keeper so I want to get it right.

Even from new the car came with some problems, the oil temp gauge was never connected, the fron subframe bolts or hooks that hold it to the body were never on the car until recently when I had the car inspected my mechanic noticed it, so there might be some more problems from new.
Do you think if I change the shock absorbers it will do any difference, right now I have the standard Koni shocks.
Another thing I noticed lately is that when I stop accelerating to take a corner or to stop I feel the engine moving like if the engine mounts were worn.

Thanks

#6 Scruffs

Scruffs

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 02:52 PM

In Mexico we dont have an MOT equivalent

That doesn't surprise me, was in Mexico earlier this year and saw some hilariously dangerous transportation chugging around! most of the time with me in it...:) ...not half as bad as Guatemala tho!

I don't know about replacing your shocks, oversteer (on turn in anyway) and uncontrolled bounciness would point to front dampers in my mind, but if there was bolts missing from new I'm sure there could be a whole host of things wrong. I suppose if your mechanic noticed the missing subframe mounts he would have also noticed missing/damaged engine mounts and steadies too?

I'd go and tug the wheels about, tug on the engine and check for odd tyre wear as a starting point...

Were there many cars "hecho en mexico"?

:lol:

#7 Matt

Matt

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 03:26 PM

well if jghc is having the same problems as mine.

ive pulled the engine about.. engine steadies are fine..

brand new tires.. balanced correctly..

and engine mounts are all good too..

but as you said it could be dampers..

i get bad bounce especially when giving it any immediate welly coming out of a junction (wheel spin) so might be the dampers not set firm enough?

#8 Matt

Matt

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 03:27 PM

Does yours have adjustable suspension!?

#9 jgch

jgch

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 05:38 PM

In Mexico we dont have an MOT equivalent

That doesn't surprise me, was in Mexico earlier this year and saw some hilariously dangerous transportation chugging around! most of the time with me in it...:) ...not half as bad as Guatemala tho!

I don't know about replacing your shocks, oversteer (on turn in anyway) and uncontrolled bounciness would point to front dampers in my mind, but if there was bolts missing from new I'm sure there could be a whole host of things wrong. I suppose if your mechanic noticed the missing subframe mounts he would have also noticed missing/damaged engine mounts and steadies too?

I'd go and tug the wheels about, tug on the engine and check for odd tyre wear as a starting point...

Were there many cars "hecho en mexico"?

:lol:

I do believe the front dampers are the problem as the car bounces more from the front not so much on the rear.
There was a series of 100 cars imported to Mexico by BMW in Dec. 1999 to celebrate the last year of the classic Mini. Before these series Minis were never sold in Mexico some were but in the 60's.
All the cars have the sports pack and were offered in BRG, Red, and Blue with either Beige or Black seats, and they have a Gold plaque in the glove box indicating it is a special series made for mexico and the car No.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users