Paintmonkey

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 04 September 2007 - 06:21 PM

Hi,
Got my eye on a tasty little mini. Only problem with it as far as I can tell is that there is a hole (not sure if caused by rust or welder damage) by the rear wheel arch on each side. The hole is towards the front of the arch & at sill level, basically it's where the sill turns into the arch.
What I need to know from you guys is how easy is this to fix, are there repair panels for this section or would I have to fill it.
Since the holes are more or less identical on both sides and have very little rust on the surface, I'm tempted to think it's welding damage. Anyone know what panels are likely to have been replaced to cause this ?
And finally should I be a little worried or VERY worried?
Cheers
Rich

#2 mike49

mike49

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 07:05 PM

pictures speak a thousand words, but all you need to do is get hold of some metal and cut a sufficient shape to weld in place. im currently welding in the exact same place, which is common to get holes due to the muck that gets flung up from the wheels, and although that panel is necessary its not greatly structural, so its mostly a case of fixing it to keep out the muck. You can even buy a 'flitch' panel, which will cover the entire height of that area of the panel there so you could just use the bottom half of it.

#3 Paintmonkey

Paintmonkey

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 05 September 2007 - 05:48 AM

Cheers mike,
So not a major problem then.
Here's a pic of the hole on one side. What do reckon, good or bad
Rich[attachment=39158:mini_hole.jpg]

#4 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 05 September 2007 - 07:16 AM

Yes it's a problem as it's an MOT failure...

You need to weld in a plate/replacement panel section... I would also suggest checking the inner arch and the closing panel from inside the vehicle (at the back of the companion bins )

Bodging it using filler may fool the MOT tester but will not prevent the rot from continuing into the subframe mounts and rear sills.

#5 mike49

mike49

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 10:28 AM

oh its that panel, sorry, i thought you were talking about the panel inside the arch. yeah that panel is structural but luckily it looks like an isolated problem as theres alot of good metal left, so you will need to weld new metal on preferably, its pretty simple, but the only thing is what lerks beneath it! my guess is the inside arch is going to be on its way as well, and as guessworks says, you do have to do it properly because filler is not strong enough at all to do the job, as well as it not stopping the problem. Id check the rear of the back floor pans from inside the car as well because they could be rotted out near the back seat also, which the MOT man will not like whatsoever!

Edited by mike49, 05 September 2007 - 10:29 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users