#1 Big Man

Big Man

Put your trousers on---You're Nicked!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 05:07 AM

Hi All

Whats a condensor? What does it do? If I dont know when it was last replaced should I replace it?

Ta

BM

#2 Scruffs

Scruffs

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 08:29 AM

Hi All

Whats a condensor? What does it do? If I dont know when it was last replaced should I replace it?

Ta

BM

ello, the condensor is a capacitor connected across the contact breaker, it think it ensures, through some inductor-capacitor jiggery pokery, the spark occurs for the right duration. It also helps by stopping a massive voltage spike in the LT circuit and arcing across the points gap.

You suspecting it of something or just looking to change it for the hell of it?

#3 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 06 September 2007 - 12:30 PM

As described above, the condenser is a capacitor wired across the points.

It serves two functions. First it allows the magnetic field in the ignition coil to QUICKLY collapse so the spark at the plugs can be created. Its second function is that of an arc suppressor. As the condenser absorbs the energy of the quickly collapsing magnetic field, it prevents excessive arcing across the opening ignition points. The engine CAN run without the condenser but it will be problematic and the points will wear out extremely quickly.

For more info on this, google the topic with keywords "Kettering" and "ignition". Also, visit an interesting site that explains ignition systems...
http://www.howstuffw...tion-system.htm
Links off that page will show you where condensers are typically mounted and how they are wired relative to the points.

#4 LilacLilly

LilacLilly

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Local Club: M.A.D MINI SOCIETY / ABERYSTWYTH

Posted 09 September 2007 - 09:08 AM

If your changing the condensor, change the points too. Just a tip i use, then if you suddenly stop with no power, or lose power you know it shouldn't be the points or condensor. The two just go together, problems where your mini will lose power or stop as no power is due to the points and condensor being worn.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users