6 replies to this topic

#1 alieninvader

alieninvader

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 03:45 PM

Hi, i brought some 5x12 superlite deepdish alloys from huddersfield spares after being assured they would fit without any wheel arch mods so i fitted them last night, boy did they look good! When i pushed the car back in the garage i put some steering lock on and was dissapointed to find they caught the front of both my plastic and inner wheel arches quite a bit! i am gutted as ive had to re-fit my old wheels and want to know how i can get round this problem without having my arches modified, some people say fit hi-lo's and higher the ride height or some say fit new rubber cones, i was gonna go with the hi-lo's as it seems the cheaper option but have had so many suggestions dont really know what to do for the best and also dont want to fit hi-lo's if its not gonna cure my problem also do you have to fit the hi-lo's all round or can you just do the front? like i said the wheels are 5x12 superlite deepdish alloys fitted with 145/70, R12 69T tyres from huddersfield spares. Please if anyone can help send me a reply, thanks for your time guys.

#2 busa1999

busa1999

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 03:54 PM

have you spoke to huddersfield spares if you are fitting hi-los you may as well fit new cones as well

#3 Scruffs

Scruffs

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 04:01 PM

These ones?

http://www.minispare...amp;prod_id=270

When you say

plastic and inner wheel arches

Do you mean the front of both the outer and the inner wings? (inner wing is the panel separating suspension from engine, if you like). Post a pic of your car up and we'll see if it's riding low at the front.

You didn't say what wheels you had on before? What model do you have? EDIT - oh sorry Italian job LE

Fitting hi-los to jack up the height lost from collapsed cones is a bit of a bodge IMO, if you're fitting hilos then changing the cones is one easy step on from there...

Edited by Scruffs, 06 September 2007 - 04:01 PM.

#4 miniman retford

miniman retford

Most Definitely Not Beer Powered....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts
  • Local Club: Lincs ford group

Posted 06 September 2007 - 04:05 PM

Friend of mine bought same from huddersfield spares & he was assured no body mods needed but after 2 return visits to them had to chop wings & fit group 2 arches

#5 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 06 September 2007 - 10:04 PM

Hi, i brought some 5x12 superlite deepdish alloys from huddersfield spares after being assured they would fit without any wheel arch mods so i fitted them last night, boy did they look good! When i pushed the car back in the garage i put some steering lock on and was dissapointed to find they caught the front of both my plastic and inner wheel arches quite a bit!

If I had a pound for every time i have heard this, I'd be rich!

Those deep dish wheels were originaly intended for Drum braked minis, and which, when fitted to these cars, there are no body mods required.

So in one way Hudersfield Shiney Spares are correct in their statement, however, incorrect.

Yes you are going to have to trim back the front panel where the wheels foul

#6 alieninvader

alieninvader

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 10:53 AM

Hi guys you said if i posted some pics you would have a look to see if my mini has dropped at the front and if this is what was causing my problems! hope they help, as of yet still dont know what to do, do i change suspension cones or modify arches, is modifying the arches to big a job to take on myself?
Attached File  mini_001.jpg   1.07MB   5 downloads
Attached File  mini_002.jpg   855.28K   2 downloads

#7 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 05:33 PM

where are you in the w.mids?.... I'm local-ish...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users