8 replies to this topic

#1 Spannermonkey6464

Spannermonkey6464

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 07:34 PM

Hay all, im looking at stripping the paint back on my shell and instead of sanding looking into chemical stripping but was hoping on some of your stories if you have had experiance with any in the past?

nitromors is one that has been mentioned before, but any suggestions would be great, and then once stripped back what would be the best primer, as some primers are porous

#2 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 11:47 PM

I'v heard that nitromorse isn't that good really, i mean like it does the job, but it'll be better to just sand it off.

#3 ian

ian

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 07:21 AM

ive used nitromorse on the last two minis, if you go that way, buy plenty (and its not cheap but avoid the stores own cheaper brand, its not as good).

i put a thick coat on, then once you start to see the paint crack and bubble put another coat on, leave for a couple of min's then i use the wire wheel in a drill/grinder.

make sure you cover your body, ie long sleeves and dont wear shorts, it burns like hell, ( been there done that lol) also use goggles.

hardest bit is making sure its all off at the end, wash the panel's down a good few times, then rub down with wet/dry paper, wash down again then i dry the panel's off with baby wipes (i get them free :D )

you will need a first coat of etch primer then once thats on you can go with the ordinary primer. but try and get the first coat on as soon as poss.

this is the way ive always done it, not saying its the right way though.

ian

#4 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 07 September 2007 - 08:05 AM

Long winded, laborious and you'll never get it all off.... also washing down with water...hmm bare metal + water = rust

If you ware going to do it, goto an autopaint shop and get professional stuff, makes nitromores look like wee, I'd also advice to scrape the majority of the paint off, rather than a spinning electrical device, a lot neater and respectful to the nature around you... wash off and then use a sander to remove any reminants... this is how I've done doors and such like in the past...

The alternative, is to get the shell blasted or acid dipped... the latter you usually get your shell back already etch primed.

Edited by GuessWorks, 07 September 2007 - 08:06 AM.

#5 ian

ian

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 03:21 PM

Can i ask why you think your never get all the paint off? I have an assortment of different size/shape wheels/paint stripping wheels and can asure you it gets every bit of paint off. Yes have to agree it does take some time but then im sure Mr Pitcrew didnt expect it to be done in a few minutes.

we know water and bare panel is not good, i use the cheapest thinners from my paint supplier for washing the body and also cleaning the gun out between coats, use the expensive stuff for the paint mix.
Can i ask how you make sure the paint remover you use has been removed, if you dont wash the panel down or what do you use?

Yes it is far better to have the shell blasted or dipped, but then you have to add in the cost to have this done, also transporting a bare shell to and from the place thats going to do the work.

#6 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 07 September 2007 - 03:32 PM

What I was trying to elude to is...

I've done door skins, they are nice flat sheets of metal which dont have seems or holes (hopefully) therefore no where for water to get trapped, doing a whole shell you've got so many water traps inside that I'm not 100% sure you'd ever get it all out

When I did my Dunlop D1's they were a complete nightmare and ended up using a tooth brush to get the stripper out..

Now I dip wheels, takes 10 minutes and absolutely no paint left at all, washed off with a pressure wash and let the dry off.

Sometimes, getting something done professionally is worth the money.

#7 Spannermonkey6464

Spannermonkey6464

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 03:43 PM

Thanks for the replies guys, so ....

if i used a stronger stripper than nitromores and a combination of scraping the easy to get to areas and bruch sanding the harder to reach areas, than clean down with thinners would that work?

then get hold of a fair few cars of etch primer?

=]

#8 ian

ian

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 04:34 PM

I think your find cans of etch primer will be very expensive mate, have you not got a compressor and gun?

#9 Spannermonkey6464

Spannermonkey6464

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 05:20 PM

yea just struggling for power as my garage is about 2 miles from my house, god im desperate for a garage with power!! may get a genny but doubt it would run my mig =]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users