13 replies to this topic

#1 Jet_black

Jet_black

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 11:19 PM

What grade wet and dry do i use in between coats of paint.

#2 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 01:35 AM

http://www.theminifo...showtopic=27741

Bit sticked thread there should help.

#3 Marv 1234

Marv 1234

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Local Club: Prince Bishops

Posted 10 September 2007 - 07:38 AM

What grade wet and dry do i use in between coats of paint.

i always use 600 grade wet +dry on solid colours and 800 on basecoats

#4 LilacLilly

LilacLilly

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Local Club: M.A.D MINI SOCIETY / ABERYSTWYTH

Posted 10 September 2007 - 09:02 AM

i use a 800 on base coat, but a 1200 or 1500 onto the colour before lacquering

#5 ckneller321

ckneller321

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 03:38 PM

i was told not to rub it down before the laquer...... :o
just wait till it was back of the finger dry then apply the laquer

#6 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 10 September 2007 - 08:06 PM

DON'T RUB DOWN INBETWEEN COATS! unless it's a solid gloss and you're letting it dry COMPLETELY between coats. You will only need to flat between coats if you have not prepped properly.

#7 LilacLilly

LilacLilly

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 02:54 PM

DON'T RUB DOWN INBETWEEN COATS! unless it's a solid gloss and you're letting it dry COMPLETELY between coats. You will only need to flat between coats if you have not prepped properly.

My car was preped 100% properly, I then put on the primer waited 24 hours rubbed it back a bit with 800 grit wet and dry left it for 24 hours, wiped away all the dry excess, then apply a good coat of colour, wait 24 hours rub it down a bit with 1200 or 1500 wet and dry, leave for 24 hours get rid of excess, then if it needs another colour coat repeat the last step if not time for the lacquer. I dunno if you can tell when a car has been painted at home by someone that isn't 100% sure of what to do but you can tell because the final finish feels like orange peel. None of that on mine, The finish is perfect, just what i wanted. SO DON'T TELL ME YOU SHOULDN'T RUB IT BACK INBETWEEN COATS OR BEFORE LACQUERING. IT WORKS WITH MY METHOD AND I GOT THE METHOD OF A CAR SPRAYER!!

#8 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,606 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 05:11 PM

Hey calm down chuck! It is not at all the way you are meant to do it, there is no point whatsoever unless you have got bits of dust in the base, or you can see imperfections in the primer through it. It is almost impossible to flat base evenly, therefore you get an uneven affect due to the metallic lying in different directions, especially if it's a light colour. You should never flat base directly before lacquer, you could only ever get away with that on a very dark colour, due to the fact it leaves light scratches on the surface, which reflect light and therefore change the look of the colour. You always should apply a drop coat of base before lacquer, this evens out finish.

I have no doubt the finish you have achieved is first class, but there are always ways of improving the general finish.

Pete

#9 Teapot

Teapot

TMF Legend

• Members
  • 5,010 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 05:35 PM

Well, I feel like a tennis spectator, look left, look right, one says do, t'other says don't, but I'm sure you're both right in your own ways. On the paint aerosol can I just got at Halfords it says it's important to use 1500 wet & dry before lacquering because the paint has to be matt.

Anyway thanks to you both for the advice yesterday and as soon as I can pluck up courage I'll post before and after pictures of my first ever effort at body repairs.

#10 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,606 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 05:39 PM

Just a quickie, if it's glossy, why lacquer it? also if you want to lacquer it anyway, use scotchbrite, not 1500. Thats how everyone does it, halfords are not too hot when it comes to painting if you ask me..

#11 midridge2

midridge2

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 05:51 PM

i know some people get sick of me saying i worked for 35+years in a body shop and worked alot with the painters, but panelbeaterpete is correct in what he said.

#12 LilacLilly

LilacLilly

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 08:17 AM

Well, I feel like a tennis spectator, look left, look right, one says do, t'other says don't, but I'm sure you're both right in your own ways. On the paint aerosol can I just got at Halfords it says it's important to use 1500 wet & dry before lacquering because the paint has to be matt.

Anyway thanks to you both for the advice yesterday and as soon as I can pluck up courage I'll post before and after pictures of my first ever effort at body repairs.

Do exactly that. I didn't use a metallic paint so you can get away with rubbing it down inbetween coats! Just dont rub too hard, you only want to go over it quickly and make sure you use plenty of water to do it.

#13 jack_marshall

jack_marshall

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 11:11 PM

I wouldnt be wet flatting between coats of paint.

Asking for micro blisters in the future.

At work I use 320 paper to flat primer for solid colours, and if prep is good and paint goes on nicely, looks fine.

For basecoat metallic I flat primer with anything between 600-1200 paper also depending how good prep is.

Definately dont flat basecoats between coats. The only time you should be dry flatting between coats of metallic base is if the edges of the primer are showing through, imperfections or you have a small reaction in the paint going on. But this should be flatted with 1500 dry ideally.

Definately make sure your last coat of base is not flatted before laquering. It will look an arse.

#14 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,606 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 10:25 AM

:D :gimme:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users