#1 CooperTrooper

CooperTrooper

One Carb Or Two?

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts
  • Local Club: Sheffield Mini Club

Posted 10 September 2007 - 09:42 AM

Got on of these from a trade stand at stanford bridge yesterday for a bargain price of 14 quid!

http://www.minisport...00#aIMI32021000

Does anyone know how they fit? Im wondering if the petrol cap thingie differs on the late mpi's as im unsure how it fits. I can basically just take the old one off and this one just fits tight onto the seal without me having to do much else.. do i just tap it down a little bit more with a hammer so its proper tight on?

Edited by CooperTrooper, 10 September 2007 - 09:43 AM.

#2 Matt

Matt

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts
  • Local Club: The mini forum - i live here

Posted 10 September 2007 - 09:44 AM

as far as i know mate.. you put it on.. and there should be something like 3 tiny grub screws around the bottom which hold it on..

#3 aussie

aussie

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 10:00 AM

you also have to take off your petrol cap first.

#4 CooperTrooper

CooperTrooper

One Carb Or Two?

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 07:33 PM

anyone know how these fit?

Attached File  DSC00534.JPG   774.72K   2 downloads

i dont understand if i just bang it on as there is no screws to tighten it on...

this is the sleeve that fits securely against the car do i just tap it down???

Attached File  DSC00535.JPG   521.75K   1 downloads

#5 james962

james962

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 07:40 PM

Don't you unscrew your current petrol cap, and push it in the Monza cap. The monza one then sits underneath the original, so you can still lock the petrol cap, and then the cover just folds over the top? Then, when you fill up, you unlock the original cap, and the monza one comes off with it.

I think is fits the same way as the aston stylee.

#6 james962

james962

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 07:42 PM

Woops, like you said in your first post, the sleeve just makes it a nice tight fit.

#7 CooperTrooper

CooperTrooper

One Carb Or Two?

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 07:43 PM

Don't you unscrew your current petrol cap, and push it in the Monza cap. The monza one then sits underneath the original, so you can still lock the petrol cap, and then the cover just folds over the top? Then, when you fill up, you unlock the original cap, and the monza one comes off with it.

I think is fits the same way as the aston stylee.

its a non locking one mate if that helps :-

#8 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 08:20 PM

To my knowledge...

With that type, you drain the tank, fill it with CO2 to displace the petrol vapour, leave it to vent overnight to be really sure, clean the filler neck with a grinder and then braze the brass filler neck to it hoping really hard that the tank doesn't explode. These are not bolt on or push on items but bespoke, weld in custom car fittings. This is not the same as the Mini Spares screw fitted Aston type cap which was invented to get round this problem.

#9 Guest_cooper_rsp_*

Guest_cooper_rsp_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2007 - 09:41 PM

I have the same type on mine i was an interferance fit connector (the brass bit) used a soft punch as not to damage the brass ring, and the cap (chrome bit) screws on to the threads. The old cap is not used any more.

#10 CooperTrooper

CooperTrooper

One Carb Or Two?

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 09:53 PM

To my knowledge...

With that type, you drain the tank, fill it with CO2 to displace the petrol vapour, leave it to vent overnight to be really sure, clean the filler neck with a grinder and then braze the brass filler neck to it hoping really hard that the tank doesn't explode. These are not bolt on or push on items but bespoke, weld in custom car fittings. This is not the same as the Mini Spares screw fitted Aston type cap which was invented to get round this problem.

seems abit extreme... im sure the stall guy at stanford said it fits straight on but just wondering if anyone else had the same one.... im abit nervous now lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users