DOOGLE

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Local Club: JERSEY MINI CLUB

Posted 18 September 2007 - 03:46 PM

Iggynishun plays a part too

If your battery has to turn over a cold engine it has less oomph to spare for making sparks.

A service is a good place to start.

A quick check on the choke is to make sure the cam on the carb connected to the choke cable does actually turn as far as it can when the knob is pulled fully out.

Hi, thanks, butit had a service about a month ago...should I replace the ignition if so what should I upgrade it to to improve things...its a 78 clubby automatic thanks

hi id say up :thumbsupgrade the ignition to electronic if u dont already have it allso give ya sparkplug leads a good spray with sum wd 40 another trick try wen u finish with the car at the end of the day ie afta work turn off the car , pull choke out and leave it out ready for the morning,, :!:

is that very hard? I am an amateur after all lol NO ITS FAIRLY EASY . WOULD HAVE DONE IT FOR U BUT ON A DIFFERNT ISLAND ,, ANYWAY POP TO YOUR LOCAL GARAGE AND ASK THEM TO FIT AN ELECTRONIC IGNITION FOR U WILL ONLY COST A FEW POUNDS. :dontgetit:

#17 yorkshirechris

yorkshirechris

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,873 posts
  • Local Club: www.lcmoc.com

Posted 18 September 2007 - 03:47 PM

Sorry to invade your thread, but how do you know if you have electronic ignition? I have a 85 Mayfair would it be fitted as standard?

Chris

#18 DOOGLE

DOOGLE

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 03:52 PM

Sorry to invade your thread, but how do you know if you have electronic ignition? I have a 85 Mayfair would it be fitted as standard?

Chris

TAKE the dizzy cap off u should see sum points else u have E I fitted.

#19 yorkshirechris

yorkshirechris

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,873 posts
  • Local Club: www.lcmoc.com

Posted 18 September 2007 - 03:53 PM

Chris

TAKE the dizzy cap off u should see sum points else u have E I fitted.

Ah that's too technical, nevermind! lol

Cheers jam jam, I'm not having any problems with my ignition or anything yet anyway, you'd know about it if I did :!:

Edited by yorkshirechris, 18 September 2007 - 03:55 PM.

#20 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 03:54 PM

Chris

Yours wouldn't have it as standard no.

#21 DOOGLE

DOOGLE

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 03:57 PM

someone please tell me why my clubby wont start when its cold weather or should Isay colder. need to sort this problem before I hopefully start my new job tried search on here typing in cold startbut couldnt find anything HEEEEEELPPPP!

hope that helps u out ... wats your new job then if its ok to ask.

#22 mad_scientist

mad_scientist

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Local Club: island minis

Posted 18 September 2007 - 04:03 PM

someone please tell me why my clubby wont start when its cold weather or should Isay colder. need to sort this problem before I hopefully start my new job tried search on here typing in cold startbut couldnt find anything HEEEEEELPPPP!

thanks ever so much been told that if I reapply for the laboratory technicians job its 99% sure I will get it have to wait about 10 days or so for reinterview thanks for your help, I will phone a few garages and find out how much to fit an electronic ignition thanks again x

#23 DOOGLE

DOOGLE

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 04:06 PM

thanks ever so much been told that if I reapply for the laboratory technicians job its 99% sure I will get it have to wait about 10 days or so for reinterview thanks for your help, I will phone a few garages and find out how much to fit an electronic ignition thanks again x

goodluck anyway ,, any time ya stuck give me a shout ya welcom.

#24 DOOGLE

DOOGLE

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 04:42 PM

let me know what they quote u,

#25 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 04:52 PM

Make sure its an ignition problem before spending out to get it fitted! As I say, as soon as we started getting cold weather we (TMF) usually see a number of topics crop up asking why their mini suddenly won't start, and usually the cold has knocked out the battery.

#26 mad_scientist

mad_scientist

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 09:07 AM

let me know what they quote u,

What a pain in the backside, phoned loads of garages over here and they wont do it however finally got through to one but he said not to get it done but to consider something called a ballasted coil etc but still wont do it grrrr ok well got up this morning and she started not first time but it did eventually start...its a newish battery 2 yearsold maybe i should try a new one from halfords

#27 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 09:17 AM

Hmmm, a ballast system may help, as I believe thats what they were designed for, but plenty of people run without the ballast system and don't have any problems.

Was this a problem before the service, or did it start just very recently, or quite quickly after the service?

#28 mad_scientist

mad_scientist

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 09:20 AM

Hmmm, a ballast system may help, as I believe thats what they were designed for, but plenty of people run without the ballast system and don't have any problems.

Was this a problem before the service, or did it start just very recently, or quite quickly after the service?

not long had the mini, about a month so couldnt really tell you, just phoned up halfords for a price on a new battery and they quoted nearly £80 think I will look around first

#29 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 09:46 AM

Wow thats expensive! You sure they weren't quoting you for a BINI battery?! :!: The battery for my MR2 was £70, and that was the more powerful, better at cold starts battery (not the standard one, which was about £55).

A mini battery shouldn't be anymore than £50 really, and I'm sure you could pick them up for £30 at some motor factors.

#30 Teapot

Teapot

TMF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,010 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 10:04 AM

Is there anyone around with another vehicle who could jump start your mini? If it's still hard to start, it's not likely to be the battery. Also you should be able to get your battery tested free before you fork out for a new one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users