#1 bennett

bennett

Speeding Along Now

• Banned from Buying/Selling
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Local Club: tmf

Posted 19 September 2007 - 05:20 PM

hi, ive found a twin choke webber in the friday adds at a really cheap price, what i'd like to know is how well do they work on minis.

any help would be great

cheers aaron

#2 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 05:31 PM

yes it will 'work'

You'll need a new inlet manifold and Either a hole cut in your bonnet or a bulkhead box needs to be welded in depending on what type of manifold you choose, And a rolling road session is a MUST.

I notice you're running a 1330 at the moment.... The weber could be quite at home on that engine If It's gotta nice cam In there too... If anything it'll sound great!

Edited by Retro_10s, 19 September 2007 - 05:34 PM.

#3 bennett

bennett

Speeding Along Now

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 05:38 PM

yes it will 'work'

You'll need a new inlet manifold and Either a hole cut in your bonnet or a bulkhead box needs to be welded in depending on what type of manifold you choose, And a rolling road session is a MUST.

I notice you're running a 1330 at the moment.... The weber could be quite at home on that engine If It's gotta nice cam In there too... If anything it'll sound great!

would a kent 266 work alright, it came off a vauxhall would i have to change the jets ect...

what would the performance be like

#4 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 05:49 PM

Is it specifically for a mini? If not you might have trouble finding a manifold for it.

#5 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 05:50 PM

Yes the jets will need changing,.. Performance wise... If it's well set-up you should see quite a difference in the delivery of power I.E. throttle response and small amount of torque increase. Sheer noise coming from the engine bay will be enough to make you look and sound faster too :!:

Quoting a ball park BHP figure is useless and i can't do it,... It's all about torque on Normal 8v Mini engines without fancy 16v heads etc.

Oh and you'll need some special rubber spacers that stop the engine vibrations frothing up the fuel in the carb.... I think.

I'm gonna sit back now and let someone more knoweldegable take over. :dontgetit:

#6 bennett

bennett

Speeding Along Now

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 06:03 PM

Yes the jets will need changing,.. Performance wise... If it's well set-up you should see quite a difference in the delivery of power I.E. throttle response and small amount of torque increase. Sheer noise coming from the engine bay will be enough to make you look and sound faster too :!:

Quoting a ball park BHP figure is useless and i can't do it,... It's all about torque on Normal 8v Mini engines without fancy 16v heads etc.

Oh and you'll need some special rubber spacers that stop the engine vibrations frothing up the fuel in the carb.... I think.

I'm gonna sit back now and let someone more knoweldegable take over. :dontgetit:

where can i get a manifold for it

#7 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 06:30 PM

If its a specific mini one then there are manifolds available. It depends which Weber it is. If its downdraught then the manifolds are rare, your options basically consist of finding one second hand, or having one made up. If its a side draught Weber, they are a lot more common, and finding a manifold shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Do you know what type of Weber it is? DCOE40, DCOE45, DCD 28/36, IDA, etc?

#8 Jupitus

Jupitus

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts
  • Local Club: Breathemini

Posted 19 September 2007 - 07:51 PM

where can i get a manifold for it

I have a manifold and sidedraught weber I bought to clean up and sell on... I may be persuaded to split them if it's suitable for you but I will warn you I saw a manifold go on ebay for over £60 recently..... pm me if wanting details :cry:

#9 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 07:17 AM

I also have a weber for sale , not needed as i am now going vauxhall power , its a 40 dcoe and comes with a chiose of manifolds either a swan neck or straight
call 01286 677155 for details

#10 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 20 September 2007 - 07:21 AM

If it came off a Vauxhall, is it a downdraught?

The common Webers to use on minis are the DCOE webers, though some people do use IDAs and DTMR/DTMLs (I think).

Manifold for a DCOE will be easy to find, DTML and IDA manifolds will be more difficult. If it's off something like a Nova SR or similar, it'll probably be a DTMR/DTML I think, something like a 32/34?

#11 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 08:00 AM

If it came off a Vauxhall, is it a downdraught?

The common Webers to use on minis are the DCOE webers, though some people do use IDAs and DTMR/DTMLs (I think).

Manifold for a DCOE will be easy to find, DTML and IDA manifolds will be more difficult. If it's off something like a Nova SR or similar, it'll probably be a DTMR/DTML I think, something like a 32/34?

Woody never said it was off a Vauxhall! :cry: He said he doesn't need it now because he's going Vauxhall powered.

#12 The Matt

The Matt

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 08:03 AM

would a kent 266 work alright, it came off a vauxhall would i have to change the jets ect...

what would the performance be like

*cough*

Woody never said it was off a Vauxhall! :dontgetit: He said he doesn't need it now because he's going Vauxhall powered.

????? :)

:cry:

#13 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 08:06 AM

Ahhhhhh, sorry, I thought your reply was in reply to Woody's reply!

#14 The Matt

The Matt

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 08:12 AM

:)

I guess technically, I could be blamed for your misinterpretation. Perhaps (in hindsight) I should have quoted the post that I was responding to.

:cry:

#15 stardude

stardude

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,457 posts
  • Local Club: hilltop mini's

Posted 20 September 2007 - 08:13 AM

are downdraught webers better than side draught?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users