#2 sprintmini

sprintmini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 09:03 AM

what better (i.e sound performance etc.)K&N cone filter or a drilled airbox

Do you want your mini to sound horrible or do you want a performance upgrade?
Fit a K&N as it will be the first step in an upgrade, once you have that done then you may need to alter the carb due to the increase in airflow.
Drilling the airbox will only make the intake louder (sound horrible) and could introduce more muck into your engine(not good)

#3 Jupitus

Jupitus

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts
  • Local Club: Breathemini

Posted 20 September 2007 - 09:08 AM

what better (i.e sound performance etc.)K&N cone filter or a drilled airbox

Drilling the airbox will only make the intake louder (sound horrible) and could introduce more muck into your engine(not good)

I think the original poster is meaning drilling a series of holes on the underside of a standard airbox OUTSIDE the radius of the filter element. This is a known mod and said to be reasonably effective. I have this on my 998 and it isn't too loud, but it is definitely noticeable :cry:

#4 DivineMisfit

DivineMisfit

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 09:13 AM

Keith Calver did a test on a 1098 and the drilled airbox actually gave more performance over a K&N, and sounded better too!

#5 sprintmini

sprintmini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 09:19 AM

Keith Calver did a test on a 1098 and the drilled airbox actually gave more performance over a K&N, and sounded better too!

Ill get me coat :cry:

#6 Jupitus

Jupitus

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts
  • Local Club: Breathemini

Posted 20 September 2007 - 09:33 AM

Ill get me coat :)

Hehe don't worry... you were right to warn of the dangers of muck intake which is why it is important to make sure the holes are outside the area where the filter sits :cry:

#7 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 10:10 AM

From the Vizard book it gives a different result. On smaller carb elbow (the main restriction due to the stud and bad flow of it) a K&N cone/pancake filter tended to be better. On larger elbowed carbs (the larger HIF 44 or HS6 even) the drilled air box gave a similar result to the cone filter but with less induction noise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users