#1 mini_mission

mini_mission

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • Local Club: bumpstart

Posted 20 September 2007 - 02:54 PM

ive bought an ignition switch from huddersfield mini center today and was wondering if any one can help me..

so the question is which wires attach to which part of the switch? i have an ignition aircraft style switch and a push bottom for start. both of these have 2 connectors on the back.

what colour wires go where? :)

help always appreciated! :cry:

#2 mini_mission

mini_mission

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 10:52 PM

ok well ive sorted it out, but i thought i will post up what ive done so hopefully it may help someone.

i am my no means "electrical" but it all works so please correct me if im wrong ;D

ok so if you have one of these...

Attached Files

#3 mini_mission

mini_mission

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 10:57 PM

you will use have of these, (the bit that connects the 'loom to the ignition barrel) and cut it like so... (in blue peter style i had a spare, so its one i made earlier!)

Attached Files

#4 mini_mission

mini_mission

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 11:06 PM

trim the ends of the other piece and connect it like so that you keep the "female" bit attached. just like human nature, or spiders or something the male bit can be discarded..

BUT i have no idea what the green and white wire does, but nothing has stopped working so i tend not to worry about such things..

the brown to the ignition (doesnt matter what way round they are)

the white to the ignition

the white (link it to the push button)

and the white/ red from the push button

i snipped off the white/ green wire and took it of the white wire to the push button. all worked dandy.

Attached Files

Edited by mini_mission, 20 September 2007 - 11:14 PM.

#5 mini_mission

mini_mission

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 11:11 PM

just dont ask me about the light on the switch panel either.... prehaps its got something to do with that white/ green wire.....?

Edited by mini_mission, 20 September 2007 - 11:11 PM.

#6 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,439 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 20 September 2007 - 11:13 PM

Well I'll add to your one man thread ;D

The 'barrel' switch you chopped the wires from has only one supply, the brown wire - you'll need to connect that to both switches.

The plain white is for ignition and ign dependent stuff like indicators - the toggle switch

Red white is the starter wire

The left over wire (green 'n white) is for the radio, wipers, heater etc that will also need connecting to the brown, preferably via a nice beefy switch.

#7 mini_mission

mini_mission

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 11:21 PM

ahh looks like i need to make some mods.... a few questions though ethel, if you dont mind ;D

"The 'barrel' switch you chopped the wires from has only one supply, the brown wire - you'll need to connect that to both switches."

if i did that then wouldnt the engine tick over if i had the ignition switch turned on? as i want to leave the engine crank over job to the push button? the brown wire is coming from the battery, right? i want the return (white) wire connected to both?

"The left over wire (green 'n white) is for the radio, wipers, heater etc that will also need connecting to the brown, preferably via a nice beefy switch."

yup, spot on- just sorted it now and the wipers work! :thumbsup: i dont have a radio, nor a heater and i forgot to test the wipers beforehand. but why with a switch? i have just linked the two together and it seems all good- or am i missing something?

thanks dude for your help, and for not making me feel lonely during this thread!

Edited by mini_mission, 21 September 2007 - 12:07 AM.

#8 mini_mission

mini_mission

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 07:47 AM

ok final pic of it actually sorted now...

i didnt bother with a switch for connecting the brown wire and green/ white wire- it worked fine

nor did i connect the brown to both swtiches (as you can see)- i dont think that would work correctly. but this, does ;D

end of thread, hope this will help someone out there, it was pretty much just me thinking out loud! :thumbsup:

Attached Files

• Attached File  mini.jpg   299.18K   4 downloads

Edited by mini_mission, 21 September 2007 - 10:07 AM.

#9 james105

james105

Speeding Along Now

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 08:34 AM

do you not need your key at all now?

#10 Teapot

Teapot

TMF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,010 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 08:35 AM

Anybody who has a go deserves a Well Done ;D

#11 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 21 September 2007 - 09:00 AM

do you not need your key at all now?

Yes if he still has the barrel on the column, otherwise it'll be very difficult to turn corners.... ;D

#12 mini_mission

mini_mission

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 10:03 AM

i dont need a key- ive taken my barrel lock off- yes i know its easy to knick but they still got find my fuel pump switch, or my other top secret anti theft devices! ;D

thanks for your replies, prehaps this thread might be better located in the FAQ's? admin, what do you think?

#13 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,439 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 21 September 2007 - 10:20 AM

They way you've done it looks ok. If you put the brown direct to both switches then the starter button would work all the time. The way you've done it the flick switch 'arms' it.

As long as it can handle the current it'll be fine. I trust you used decent connectors where you've joined wires - not something you want cominig adrift half way down a motorway!

As far as the steering lock goes, it'd also be a visual deterrent. Still be annoying if some chav bricks your window even if they fail to drive your wheels away.

#14 mini_mission

mini_mission

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 10:38 AM

coolio!

as for joining the wires, i wrapped them around each other and then taped 'em up with insulation tape. its all quite secure.

i see what your saying with the steering lock, but i dont even have door locks and the perspec widows are a case of just sliding them back! LOL - its a car to be driven hard and fast, not posing in town nor parked up in town, luckily i live in the sticks, out of the chav's natural habitat so i have the freedom to enjoy the car ;D

Edited by mini_mission, 21 September 2007 - 10:39 AM.

#15 Teapot

Teapot

TMF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,010 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 10:42 AM

its a car to be driven hard and fast, not posing in town nor parked up in town, luckily i live in the sticks, out of the chav's natural habitat so i have the freedom to enjoy the car

Oooh you're so stwong ;D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users