#1 mineeeeee

mineeeeee

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Local Club: me and my mini

Posted 21 September 2007 - 06:43 PM

This is a technical question so it should be in the right section,if not sorry.

Been thinking about building a 1380,in fact have started to get the engine i am
using ready and have completed the g/box ie strip inspect,new seals and gaskets and center pickup pipe fitted and the customery lick of paint.
Also stripped the block ready for machining,but i have now just stepped back a bit
and thought about it.IS this what i want.

let me explain,i have 1x92 rover mini,1xspare front subframe,and 1xlow milage 130bhp,70lbs torque,6 speed 05 Z1000 motor and a tape measure.I do have equipment and some ability as well.

going on those figures whats the opinon on it being a worth while coversion as oposed to the 1380
even though the 1380 would be far easier to fit.I might add that the amount of work involved is not the
issue but when its done would it have the WOW factor(sad)the common swap is the R1 but i aint got one of those.

Any coments would be welcome,and don't worry i wont hold anyone responsable ;D

by the way the Z is fuel injected complete with Power Comander so tweaking should not be a problem.
Cheers

#2 biggav

biggav

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,830 posts
  • Local Club: South Central

Posted 21 September 2007 - 06:47 PM

i think you need to ask one of those people already building front wheel drive bike engined cars... As far as i know, Zcars always found it better at the back and never really got off the ground with front engine cars. personally, i'd stick to the 1380 since parts will always be available and they're sooo easy to work on.

#3 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 06:56 PM

Just to say. Mine, it says your engine is a 998 you know you can't take a 998 and make it into a 1380?

#4 mineeeeee

mineeeeee

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 07:03 PM

Just to say. Mine, it says your engine is a 998 you know you can't take a 998 and make it into a 1380?

NO NO NO sould have made clear,i have a 1275 in bit in the garage.
The 998 was in when i got the car and will be going in the bin ;D

i am sure some of my keyboard keys dont always work

Edited by mineeeeee, 21 September 2007 - 07:05 PM.

#5 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 21 September 2007 - 07:58 PM

MMM bike engines, just look how C**p the torque is compared to the power. With the 1380 you will easily get 100bhp and 100lbft torque

You have to rev the balls off the bike engines to get them to move, its not like your everyday traffic car. Max power will be stupid high revs, max torque wont be as high but much higher than the 1380.

the 1380 is the better option

#6 mineeeeee

mineeeeee

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 08:05 PM

yes,this is the sort of info i need.pros and cons of the finnished car.

i have rode bikes many years and i know a twist of the throttle on a modern bike will
leave you on your ar*e on the floor but what about lugging a mini about

#7 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 08:51 PM

i have a 1275 in bit in the garage.

Just wanted to make sure. Many moons ago we had someone who thought you could take a 998 and bore it to 1380.

#8 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 09:10 PM

Another thing i'v heard about bike engines is that they're quite high maintenance. Don't you need a new cluth every 3k? I'v definatly read that somewhere but not sure if it was about bike engines in general, or about a particular bike engine.

I think a 1380 is definatly your best option, for the reasons stated aboce.

#9 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 21 September 2007 - 11:56 PM

Car engines for cars and bike engines for bikes.

This bike engine in a car fad with eventualy dissapear when more and more people realise that it was a stupid idea in the first place.

With the exception of the hyabusa V8, which was desinged from a bike engine specificaly for a car, after all its two blocks and heads bolted to a specificaly desinged sump and crank to drive a gearbox from a car, its not a bike engine anymore thats for sure.

#10 mineeeeee

mineeeeee

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 02:19 AM

Another thing i'v heard about bike engines is that they're quite high maintenance. Don't you need a new cluth every 3k? I'v definatly read that somewhere but not sure if it was about bike engines in general, or about a particular bike engine.

I think a 1380 is definatly your best option, for the reasons stated aboce.

you could be right,the clutch in a bike engine was never designed to pull that much weight.
Mini,s are light but not as light as a bike.

Its looking like the only thing going for a bike engine is the sound and maybe thats not enough
after all the work involved.thanks guys.

This brings me back to the 1380 then,can somebody give me a ballpark figure of what to expect then
power wise from a fresh built 1380 with new 286 cam with new followers and lets say a hif44 carb
with good quality LCB and system,Mg head (big valve)sadly no modified head as money won't go to that yet.
C,mon,what are people with this kind of setup getting?If you want to brag nows the time ;D

#11 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 04:15 AM

see the above post by minisprocket.

then have a look for the bill sollis mini engine building dvd

#12 mini_mission

mini_mission

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • Local Club: bumpstart

Posted 22 September 2007 - 10:59 AM

this might help if u want a guide to 1380 power outputs- my recent rolling road results- rolling road thread

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users