Photo
- - - - -

Long Arm / Short Arm - Verto / Pre-verto?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 rallymini

rallymini

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 07:23 PM

I thought this question may have been posed previously, but I can find no info...

I have a Clubman estate that was running a pre-verto 998 engine with a long clutch arm. The car has now been converted to an A+1275 running a Metro Turbo gearbox. Unfortunately it did not come with the aluminium clutch cover (wok) so I have fitted the long arm cover off the original engine along with a new slave cylinder the same as the original one.

I have bled the system and can see the arm moving significantly but the clutch is not disengaging. Looking in the Haynes, it looks like the verto clutch needs 6.5mm mm clearance throw out clearance, I have this setting and it is moving that much. The Haynes also shows there is a difference between the master cylinder bores, but if the stroke is correct then this does not seem to be the cause. However, I can also see in the Haynes that the release bearings are different between a long arm and short arm assembly. I've also use a pry bar to move the arm a little more than should be required and this makes no difference.

Is the short arm and long arm assembly interchangeable on an A+ Verto engine?

Thanks, Mark

Edited by rallymini, 22 September 2007 - 07:28 PM.

#2 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,437 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 22 September 2007 - 07:33 PM

Either clutch will work but it's either one or the other- you can't swap parts between them.

Given the choice I'd use a pre-verto, cheaper and more performance parts available.

One other thing to watch is that the starter motor matches the ring gear on the flywheel. Use the motor off the same engine as the clutch or if you do us a different type of motor (inertia or pre-engaged) get the ring gear swapped on the flywheel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users