11 replies to this topic

#1 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 01:31 PM

I'v sanded down all my rear roll cage now so its ready to be painted.

Whats the best way of getting a nie gloss black finish?

I was just going to brush paint it but that'd probably give me a real bad finish.

So should i just get some rattle cans of primer, gloss black and some lacquer?

If so how many coats of primer, paint and laquer should i use and how long should i leave before adding each coat?

#2 *DJH*

*DJH*

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,972 posts
  • Local Club: www.bigpower.co.uk

Posted 26 September 2007 - 01:33 PM

Paint cans are good, but bear in mind, you'll most probably scratch it getting th cage back into the car, i painted mine with red hammerite smooth :gimme:

#3 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 01:35 PM

Yeah i might try hammerite then. I'v got a big tin of black smooth to use up. I suppose if i thinned it down 50/50 it'd be alrite.

#4 *DJH*

*DJH*

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,972 posts
  • Local Club: www.bigpower.co.uk

Posted 26 September 2007 - 01:37 PM

You can use thinner, but i just vigerously stirred mine and it was fine, providing you use a very good brush :gimme:

#5 mk1leg

mk1leg

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,341 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey, MCR

Posted 26 September 2007 - 10:31 PM

spray role cage, than use large pipe lagging to protect cage as you put it in car, worked for my friends rally car :gimme:

#6 Daveuk

Daveuk

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts
  • Local Club: friendly with any mini people

Posted 26 September 2007 - 10:48 PM

paint! i'm going down the powder coating route :gimme: protection and a nice finish to it

#7 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 08:17 AM

argh! i don't know what to do. Spraying it is alot of effot but will get a good finish. Hammerites the easy root but not sure what sort of finish i'll get....

#8 Teapot

Teapot

TMF Legend

• Members
  • 5,010 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 08:37 AM

*plucks up courage* This may be totally irrelevant because I'm talking about emulsion paint, not oil based, but to paint a wooden lamp standard where brush strokes looked bad I ended up with a rag blotting it on and finally (without too much paint on the rag) swatting it. The finish was matt, of course, and totally smooth and even. Only prob I can think of with Hammerite is you might get air bubbles which don't pop.

Or using a roller?

Edited by Teapot, 27 September 2007 - 08:37 AM.

#9 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 09:25 AM

I think that technique would be sooo hard to pull off with hammerite. I reckon if i thin it down 50/50 and smooth each coat with some wet and dry i'll get a decent finish

#10 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 09:35 AM

Good quality rattle cans with decent nozzles get my vote for this.... Better finish than brushing and less flatting involved, don't have to worry about brush marks or stry bristles either.

Once you get used to spraying a tube shape it's not bad at all, just gotta keep moving,... If you Put 3-4 slightly heavier than 'light' coats on,.. you should get a nice, hard, smooth finish, then Buff it up with G3 rubbing compound.

Or just brush on hammerite :gimme:

#11 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 10:03 AM

I think i'm going to have to go with hammerite. Its just a long process trying to spray the tubing properly.

I suppose if it all goes wrong i'll learn from my mistakes and spray it instead.

#12 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 10:12 PM

Well started having ago with thinned hammerite today. At first i thinned it 50/50 but it was too thin to get any decent coverage. So i thinned it about 25/75 and it wasn't much better. So i wiped the hammerite away with thinners and started again.

I used some brush on grey primer and gave it a couple of coats and its come up loverly! Its stayed very smooth. There are some brush marks but i'v got some fine wet&dry and i'll jus give it a quick going over with that to smooth it off before paint.

I'm going to use johnstones smooth exterior gloss to paint it as my dad says it gives a decent finish on loads of surfaces. So i'll e doing that at the weekend so i'll let people know how i get on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users