13 replies to this topic

#1 parma

parma

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 09:10 PM

im thinking about putting mi mates motorcycle engine in the back of a mini but i duno if a 600 cc would have enough power cud any 1 giv me sum advise?

i no this in the rong catagory but this 1 is full of pep hu acctually no about engines insted of chattin about how good there new crome window wipers look lol

thanks for any help

#2 TJenkos

TJenkos

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 09:17 PM

Ive got some chrome washer jets too, want to see them??

#3 mini_morley

mini_morley

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • Local Club: Winchester Area Mini Owners

Posted 01 October 2007 - 09:30 PM

600cc- Is not much, I would go for somthing a little bigger unless you dont intend on getting anywhere very quickly.

PS Can a mod move this to Non-mini engined?

#4 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 09:42 PM

I'd agree... would've thought a 600cc engine (even from a bike) is gonna be pretty useless in a mini unless it's a fully stripped out spaceframed with GRP shell or something.

You can pick up good 1000cc bike engine relatively cheap now... R1 engines,.. maybe a busa!... Worth a look around breakers for crash damaged bikes or just engine etc...

The main problem is drive, and reverse but there are fairly standard ways around it.. other than that... it's pretty much up to you how to do the conversion, and whether you want the engine in the Front, or the back.

Have a look in the Projects section for inspiration.

#5 camp freddy

camp freddy

Definitely Not Camp Or A Freddy

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,696 posts
  • Local Club: Wreake Mini Wanderers

Posted 01 October 2007 - 09:51 PM

what about cbr1000 or fzr 1000 20v motor.

#6 camp freddy

camp freddy

Definitely Not Camp Or A Freddy

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,696 posts
  • Local Club: Wreake Mini Wanderers

Posted 01 October 2007 - 09:54 PM

What about a v-twin ie sp1, vtr, duke motors, lower revs, grunty motor,
and loads of torque.

#7 parma

parma

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 10:14 PM

I'd agree... would've thought a 600cc engine (even from a bike) is gonna be pretty useless in a mini unless it's a fully stripped out spaceframed with GRP shell or something.

You can pick up good 1000cc bike engine relatively cheap now... R1 engines,.. maybe a busa!... Worth a look around breakers for crash damaged bikes or just engine etc...

The main problem is drive, and reverse but there are fairly standard ways around it.. other than that... it's pretty much up to you how to do the conversion, and whether you want the engine in the Front, or the back.

Have a look in the Projects section for inspiration.

arh cheers theres sum good points u put up there and it would be rear engined! :)

#8 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 10:16 PM

happy to help :)

#9 parma

parma

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 10:20 PM

What about a v-twin ie sp1, vtr, duke motors, lower revs, grunty motor,
and loads of torque.

i wudnt mind 1 but they are reali expensive tho and pretty rare to find a good scrappy !!!

#10 biggav

biggav

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,830 posts
  • Local Club: South Central

Posted 01 October 2007 - 10:34 PM

please stop talking in text... takes us oldies ages to figure out what's being said!!!!!

#11 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 11:49 PM

moved to non mini engined projects

#12 Phaeton

Phaeton

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 07:11 AM

Interesting comment, standard Mini 1000cc pushes out about 45bhp, modern 600 CBR/GSXR/etc. pushes out 120-130bhp I would have thought they were more than capable. The weak point I would be concerned with would be the clutch for the standing & uphill starts, normally expected to handle 200Kg all up, now your going to ask it to pull 500Kg.

With the Fazer you have another problem in that they are designed to be air/oil cooled which means the only logical place to put it would be in the front. Even them cooling maybe an issue. Better off trying to get a water cooled engine that doesn't rely on air & movement as much.

Alan...

#13 supermotolee

supermotolee

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 12:24 PM

realisticly a 600 produces around 100bhp i had a healthy 1998 gsxr600 with a full system, k&n and jetting mods set up on a dyno and it made 90bhp the newer 600 sports bikes make around 100-110 std and an engine from one of them would cost the same as an r1 gixxer thou etc etc its the torque they may loose out on... i think it would work and be drivable but you might as well fork out on a 1000cc engine if your going to the trouble of fitting a bike engine

#14 leetre

leetre

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 08:49 PM

I also thought about the 600cc route. I have access to a few cbr 600, all a bit broke but fixable and also a fazar 600 that has been modified with lower compression and has a turbo hangin off it. 100 bhp and 50lf ft of torque ish from these motors, also they weigh about 60kg ish, compared to the minis 150 kg or so. I have a cbr 1000 that im looking at, but the fazar may be a back up plan if this engine falls through. Do it. It will still outperform most 1275.

lee

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users