#1 ludsonline

ludsonline

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 11:01 AM

Hi,
What are the advantages of running a Z Cars front subframe?.

Cheers

Paul

#2 Ade

Ade

the bogie man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 11:04 AM

What on?? standard mini? Z-cars mini?

#3 ludsonline

ludsonline

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 11:22 AM

What on?? standard mini? Z-cars mini?

I was meant to say on a standard mini with coil over shocks.

#4 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 11:24 AM

Gives better handling. Not sure about any increase or decrease in weight though??

#5 ludsonline

ludsonline

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 11:30 AM

Gives better handling. Not sure about any increase or decrease in weight though??

How much better handling though?,
Is it really that much better on a road car with hi-lo's, adj arms, adj tie bars and Gaz shocks?.

#6 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 11:34 AM

Weighs about 11 kgs less

#7 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 11:41 AM

What exactly weighs 11kgs less? A standard blank front subframe is only 14kgs! I'm guessing your comparing a subframe with top and bottom arms, trumpet and cones, tie-rods and dampers, to the Z Cars frame with wishbones and coilovers?

It pretty much eliminates bump steer ludsonline, and I believe gives a less bumpy ride. It would depend on how you have it set up though, and describing the difference on here would be much harder than experiencing the difference for real.

#8 neil_g

neil_g

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 12:01 PM

*cough* if anyone knows of one to take an a-series for sale let me know, ta *cough*

:lol:

Edited by neil_g, 09 October 2007 - 02:12 PM.

#9 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 01:04 PM

What exactly weighs 11kgs less? A standard blank front subframe is only 14kgs! I'm guessing your comparing a subframe with top and bottom arms, trumpet and cones, tie-rods and dampers, to the Z Cars frame with wishbones and coilovers?

It pretty much eliminates bump steer ludsonline, and I believe gives a less bumpy ride. It would depend on how you have it set up though, and describing the difference on here would be much harder than experiencing the difference for real.

You guessed right, I figure without the suspension, etc it's not a comparision worth asking, but if you really want to know it's about 6 kgs.

As for handling in one test I read, Bill Sollis said he couldn't really tell the difference between either, the bump steer from my measurements appears to more then the original subframe setup, but I will measure it properly to confirm that

Cheers
David

#10 Ade

Ade

the bogie man

• Members
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 01:38 PM

Ok i would appear to be in a rare situation of driving a mini with a fully sorted normal front subframe and swapping it (and not changing anything else) to the z-cars tubular front subframe.

The difference I can say now is nothing short of astonishing!

With the old subframe the car was twitchy over any bumps and would pull quite badly on eneven road surfaces. It was also very crashy! Very harsh noisy ride.

The new one has removed all of those problems! I recently took a guy out in mine who owns a Viper and an Ultima. His words "in terms of ride down country lanes, it knocks both of mine into a cocked hat!!!"

I can however understand Bills statement. I'm guessing he's only driven both versions on a track where most of the downsides of the normal subby wouldn't really apply. The fact that the z-cars one is as good on a track and soooooooooo much better on road just emphasises what a very good bit of kit it is!

#11 garyshoose

garyshoose

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Local Club: Alchoholics Anon

Posted 10 October 2007 - 08:06 PM

Ok i would appear to be in a rare situation of driving a mini with a fully sorted normal front subframe and swapping it (and not changing anything else) to the z-cars tubular front subframe.

The difference I can say now is nothing short of astonishing!

With the old subframe the car was twitchy over any bumps and would pull quite badly on eneven road surfaces. It was also very crashy! Very harsh noisy ride.

The new one has removed all of those problems! I recently took a guy out in mine who owns a Viper and an Ultima. His words "in terms of ride down country lanes, it knocks both of mine into a cocked hat!!!"

I can however understand Bills statement. I'm guessing he's only driven both versions on a track where most of the downsides of the normal subby wouldn't really apply. The fact that the z-cars one is as good on a track and soooooooooo much better on road just emphasises what a very good bit of kit it is!

Here Here :)

Just waved mine goodbye today to one lucky new owner and I have to say, I'll miss it. No doubt you'll all find out who that is soon as it's difficult to hide the smuggness. I ran a stroked Aseries 1430 in mine for around 700miles on the road. drives like a dream. One of the reasons i went for this sub was the cost. My whole front end was gone and by the time you add up all the bits of standard kit, labour and the restrictions it brings about on engine access, the Zcars sub wins hands down. Another reason, adjustments are a doddle. Well worth it. You're probably saying "why sell it then"? Simple. . . . the V-tec's about to hit the road and i don't have the money,time or space for both.

#12 minidan

minidan

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,354 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 16 October 2007 - 05:34 PM

damn, now i want one...

#13 markrally

markrally

Z Cars

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts
  • Local Club: Miniaddicts.co.uk

Posted 16 October 2007 - 05:53 PM

you just got rid of one!!!!! :thumbsup:

I saw it up at z cars last week, was ready to be collected by its new owner

cheers

#14 minidan

minidan

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,354 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 16 October 2007 - 06:37 PM

lol yea i know! but it was attached to my car that i sold! anyway i think im gonna do a honda vtec conversion now.

#15 garyshoose

garyshoose

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Local Club: Alchoholics Anon

Posted 16 October 2007 - 07:08 PM

lol yea i know! but it was attached to my car that i sold! anyway i think im gonna do a honda vtec conversion now.

Front or Rear Drive?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users