5 replies to this topic

#1 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 08:38 PM

I want to remove the badge on my mini, i prefer the look of smooth, simplistic minis. I may also try debumpering it too at some stage.

Anywho. I'm going to need to fill the 3 little mounting holes then repaint the area. My mini has a rally stripe though, so its not just a case of get the paint and spray it on. The stripe on the bonnet has been sprayed on, unlike the roof which is a decal (i think)

I don't know what shade of black (colour code) the stripe is. I don't want to just buy any old black, spray the area and around it, only for it to not match to the rest of the stripe. So basially i'm asking what my options are, because i don't know where to start.

Another option i'm thinking about is to buy a smooth fibreglass bonnet (without the lump in the centre) and get that sprayed professionally.

What should i do?

#2 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 12 October 2007 - 09:46 PM

Your easiest option would be to get the fibreglass bonnet and get it fitted and sprayed properly. If you wanted to debadge your metal bonnet, which is what I personally would do, you would have to weld up the holes, which would mean the area would need skimming over with filler and priming, then re-painting. If you got this done at a bodyshop they should be able to find a 100% colour match and repaint it as you wanted. It would probably be cheaper to get a decal made up for the bonnet as opposed to painting it on.

#3 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 10:31 PM

How come i'd have to get the holes welded? I'd have to see how much it'd cost toget my bonnet de-badged and resprayed professionally, as opposed to a new FB bonnet and getting that sprayed up; and see if a new bonnet would be worth the extra.

How much do you reckon it'd cost to get a new bonnet resprayed including a stripe/stripe decal?

#4 TJenkos

TJenkos

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 11:03 PM

Prices from bodyshops vary so much, cant really give you an average youd have to ring one

#5 mike49

mike49

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 05:37 PM

i bet you that normal gloss black would look fine if you did it carefully...

#6 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 13 October 2007 - 08:35 PM

You would have to weld up the holes as if you just filled them it would crack and fall out.

You'd be lookin at around £100 to do your bonnet, but like someone said, prices vary depending on who you go to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users