#1 Elfie

Elfie

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts
  • Local Club: Teeside Yesteryear Motor Club

Posted 15 October 2007 - 05:49 PM

Hi, I've just had a full respray of the Elf and have put everything back on the body apart from the strips that run along the bottom of the body, over the wheel arches and inbetween. It's the early fluted type. The bloke who did the painting tried to fit it using a heat gun but it started buckling at the bottom of the wheel arch. Is there any technique to get it all on in one peice? It's in a roll at the moment, I was considering getting it as straight as possible then fitting it to the curves.
Anybody had any experience of fitting these?
Thanks, Ben

#2 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 15 October 2007 - 06:24 PM

When I fit these, I use a hot air gun, get the deluxe type of trim and it should go on easily that way. You can also put it in a bucket of very hot water to soften it up.

#3 Elfie

Elfie

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 08:39 PM

Do you straighten out the whole strip first? Or just unroll the roll as you put it on. I'll try the hot water method tomorrow.
Thanks

#4 midridge2

midridge2

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 11:50 AM

the correct way to fit this trim,
n/s of car hold the roll of trim so that the end you are going to start with is coiled anti clockwise with the start end on the left of the roll so that when you start on the front wing you are going against the curve of the roll, use a small pop rivitt and rivitt the end onto the wing from the bottom of the lip, if the wings are original you should have the hole there.
the natural curve of the roll will go with the curve on the bottom of the apex panel, it is also pop rivitted on the lip of the apex panel also, it is also pop rivitted on the back wheel arch to.
all thing being good you should not need a heat gun or hot water.

this is my opinion and will differ from others (35 + years of fitting the stuff)

#5 Elfie

Elfie

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 04:12 PM

Nice one, thanks alot mate. I'll let you know how it goes

#6 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 16 October 2007 - 07:28 PM

Ah I never knew they were riveted on as standard! That may explain why mine flew off on the M5...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users