32 replies to this topic

#1 Amy

Amy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 11:39 AM

Juju, can you ask your other half if he knows what type of spider I'm describing please? :ph34r:

My Mum took my Nephew to the park yesterday, and pointed out a really weird spider to him, which like little boys would, he promptly tried to grab! Mum freaked out as it didn't look 'native' to Britain and stopped him from touching it....

It was quite fat, about two inches across with fat black legs and a bright red body!

Any ideas?

Also..... I wonder if he knows what the biggest recorded house spider is....?! I have got at least ten in the house at the moment (that we've seen) and just found one with a leg span of at least 5 inches in the bath... it was enormous! :ph34r:

I put a piece of loo roll down the side of the bath so he could get out and go back to his little home where ever that is... probably under my sink!!! :-

Is it just us being plagued by huge spiders this year, or has anyone else noticed a strange increase in numbers?!

#2 *Raz*

*Raz*

PC Hands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,039 posts
  • Local Club: Brighton

Posted 16 October 2007 - 11:42 AM

THAT WAS IN MY ROOM!!!

well maybe not that exact one!!

Im having my room decorated and Dad had taken up all the floor boards. A huge hairy spider ran across my pillow. My sister, instead of saving me from it took a photograph on her phone. It was black with a red body and was really quick!! I couldnt find it for ages so didnt sleep in my room!!

EEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKK!!!

#3 black jack1275

black jack1275

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 11:52 AM

These are the ones you have to look out for, there called Woodlouse spiders or to us builders Stone spiders.
i`ve been bitten by one once, was like a bee sting. :-
All the blokes i worked with used to run a mile if they saw one or splat it

#4 Amy

Amy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 11:54 AM

A spider bit me on my wrist the other day..... it felt exactly like a wasp sting, left a little pair of 'fang marks' and a small red bump, but was gone within the day....

I knocked it off as it bit me and it scurried off, so I'm not sure what it looked like!

#5 *Raz*

*Raz*

PC Hands

• Members
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 11:58 AM

:ph34r: :ph34r: :mmkay: :kiss:

I swear Im aracnophobic!! Im sooo scared!! I wouldnt sleep in my room for ages after I saw that spider, just thinking about it now makes me shiver!!! That pic is GROSS!!!

I dont mind small spiders its big hairy fast ones :- :D

#6 Amy

Amy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 12:03 PM

:ph34r: :ph34r: :mmkay: :kiss:

I swear Im aracnophobic!! Im sooo scared!! I wouldnt sleep in my room for ages after I saw that spider, just thinking about it now makes me shiver!!! That pic is GROSS!!!

I dont mind small spiders its big hairy fast ones :- :D

Poor Raz..... :D My cousin has Arachnophobia, she's had hypnotherapy, been on a special 'conquer your fears' course at London Zoo, spent loads of money on self help stuff, but nothing works....

She passed out in my bedroom once when we were kids, through hyperventilating after seeing a spider on the ceiling.... we all thought it was hilarious at the time, it was a teeny tiny spider! But now I realise it causes her quite a lot of distress!

#7 Millers Mini

Millers Mini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Local Club: National Mini Owners Club

Posted 16 October 2007 - 12:08 PM

I jumped in the shower the other day to be greeted by this little/big monster and it freaked me out, I cant stand the things although I wont kill them (its bad lucky apparently) but just catch them in a glass and put them out in the garden.

by the time I had noticed it I was dripping wet so continued having the shower but kept an eye on it up at the plug hole, the only time it moved was when I washed my hair and had to close my eyes and it got close to my toes. :-

Attached Files

#8 CharlieBrown

CharlieBrown

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,587 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 16 October 2007 - 12:09 PM

Did not laugh when I read that..........honest :-

#9 *Raz*

*Raz*

PC Hands

• Members
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 12:13 PM

aww thats horrible!!

I swear my whole street heard me scream when that big spider was in my room. :- EUGH, makes me shiver!!

AH, if that was in my shower I dont know what Id do!! Your so brave!!

I dont kill them!! Thats just mean, not that i get close enough to anyway!!

Ollie180 has a taranchula that freaked me out whenever I was round his!!

#10 miniman retford

miniman retford

Most Definitely Not Beer Powered....

• Members
  • 3,553 posts
  • Local Club: Lincs ford group

Posted 16 October 2007 - 12:21 PM

My wife is so scared off them we have to move the furniture round when it get to spider season so she can see them coming !

other week i was out for a drink with mates & got call from her in histerics thought something bad had happened !
there was a spider on the wall at bottem of stairs & she dare'nt go past it so i made a 18 mile round journey to get rid of it.
But still got back to pub before closing :-

#11 Millers Mini

Millers Mini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 12:29 PM

We went to Flambards theme park in Cornwall during the summer and we saw a wild animal show where they brought out a bird eating spider which was the size of the woman’s had who was carrying it. After the display they brought out what I think they called a Chilean tree spider which was almost as big and hairy and my son let it crawl on his hand. He's braver than me. :-

#12 imabitnaughtyxx

imabitnaughtyxx

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 12:30 PM

We went to Flambards theme park in Cornwall during the summer and we saw a wild animal show where they brought out a bird eating spider which was the size of the woman’s had who was carrying it. After the display they brought out what I think they called a Chilean tree spider which was almost as big and hairy and my son let it crawl on his hand. He's braver than me. :-

i remember that ewww...... went there in august, it was horrific, i was seriously squirming, my daughter stroked it i was mortified!

#13 Juju

Juju

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,620 posts
  • Local Club: Antisocial club (members = 1)

Posted 16 October 2007 - 12:34 PM

Hello Crazy-Arachnaphobes! :mmkay: :ph34r:
I've just sent the thread to Mr Juju, although I imagine his response will be "I'm an Entomologist. Spiders are not insects." :-
I've got a couple of mates-of-mates who are arachnologists, so I'll track 'em down.
In the meantime, have a butcher's at Incey-Wincey-'pider..... and see if you can find a pick.
The orb weaving spiders tend to be the most colourful (I think), but we do have 600+ species in the UK, so it may take a while to track down.

:ph34r:

#14 *Raz*

*Raz*

PC Hands

• Members
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 12:36 PM

there was a spider on the wall at bottem of stairs & she dare'nt go past it so i made a 18 mile round journey to get rid of it.

LOL thats something I'd do!!

We went to Flambards theme park in Cornwall during the summer and we saw a wild animal show where they brought out a bird eating spider which was the size of the woman’s had who was carrying it. After the display they brought out what I think they called a Chilean tree spider which was almost as big and hairy and my son let it crawl on his hand. He's braver than me. :ph34r:

EUGH!! :ph34r:

I remember I was out with my best friend when her older sister rung her, she seemed really upset and scared, so naturally my friend was worried, but then her sister said ''I dont know what to do, there is a huge spider in my room and Neil (her hubby) is out, and wont be back til later'' . My friend laughed so much because we live in Sussex and her sister lives in Plymouth!!! :- Not a lot we could do about it!!!

#15 Millers Mini

Millers Mini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 12:38 PM

We went to Flambards theme park in Cornwall during the summer and we saw a wild animal show where they brought out a bird eating spider which was the size of the woman's had who was carrying it. After the display they brought out what I think they called a Chilean tree spider which was almost as big and hairy and my son let it crawl on his hand. He's braver than me. :-

i remember that ewww...... went there in august, it was horrific, i was seriously squirming, my daughter stroked it i was mortified!

Thats when I was there, I hope you didnt see me skinny dipping in the sea at St Ives. It was a little cold but worth the crack.

Edited by Millers Mini, 16 October 2007 - 12:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users