• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 11:52 AM

S...T...U...C...K.

Whats that spell. STUCK!

*ushers cheerleader out*

Good Day to all.

Well I'm just spinning my wheels on El Odio at the moment. I switched the head out and replaced all the rear brake pipes along with all the changing all the cylinder and shoes.

But now I'm back to wires. It could because I'm attempting to rust it or I farked up on something.

Anyway, I'm using my old 3 clock dash but when I go flick the lights (which arn't hooked up yet) only one clock on the dash lights up. The speedo one to be specific. I'm using an 82 loom and I know all the clock lights lit up before. I'm only hooked the front loom up so far as I've not even attempted to hook up the rear 63 loom to the front 82 loom. So when I get to hooking the front to rear loom might my dash work again?

Also! I can't seem to get any 12v to any of the things I assume to be light connections. Same with indicators. They don't tick either. They just stay on from the point of view of the dash.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Bar all the problems of the wiring not working and the interior being full of parts....everything melonsin' lovely.

#2 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,422 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 18 October 2007 - 12:06 PM

Perhaps it's lacking an earth 'n the speedo illum is working because it can earth via the speedo cable?

#3 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 12:21 PM

Nope, no speedo cable hooked up.

Engine is earthed, the alternator is hooked up, the batt is the right way round..........I think....I'm sure I did.....crappit. I'll check that after I pick up my rocker cover.

#4 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,422 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 18 October 2007 - 12:30 PM

Think you'd struggle to fit a battery the wrong way round with the length/bend of the batt cables.

I meant the earth on the instrument panel - aren't all the dash illum bulbs fed 'n earthed by the printed circuit?

#5 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 02:07 PM

Right,

Engine starts so that good I've done something right.

Anyone for ideas on the wires?

#6 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 02:16 PM

Have you cut any of the wires that go to the dash? I think the dash lights should work without the rear loom being plugged in. Sounds like you might have an earth problem, or the indicator lights are getting the 12V from the dash lights somehow.

You have a multimeter?

#7 clubman katie B.F

clubman katie B.F

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 03:52 PM

i have similar problems, and have the three clock dash too. you really need a multimeter and you need to very thoroughly and methodically check the connections on the printed circuit board, going from where the wiring loom block, plugs into the printed circuit board to all the separate parts of the circuit board. older circuit boards tend to get brittle and the copper circuits can crack. at present i only have a speedo clock light working, i know all the bulbs are working, and traced the fault to a break in the PCB. i have tried bridging the gap with a soldering iron, which didn't work. so am on the look out for a new PCB. a quick fix can be sometimes obtained by replacing the little voltage regulator, (the little oblong metal block which pushes onto the back of the circuit board.

#8 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 04:31 PM

Clubman Katie, search for a thread on repairing the rear heated screen elements. There was a product that came up that you can paint on which restores the electrical connection, I'm sure Dan said you can use it on these printed circuits too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users