#16 MiniMick

MiniMick

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 10:23 PM

and wheres the cold air feed behind the grill and behind the spotlights

we are not having a go at you and there's nothing stopping you fitting one, it just we are saying its a gimmick and doesn't work don't waist your money unless you want to waist it

Bungle's right it doesn't work even with a fan on the end you'll not benefit in any way from getting colder air, you could always go for a turbo now they do work?

#17 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,419 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 12 November 2007 - 10:26 PM

I dont think spots will make a huge difference either unless they are in the grill the air still has to go somewhere. The most effective way to encourage cool air flow would be to make an exit for it at the back of the bonnet - but that could rob some flow from the radiator.

#18 miRon

miRon

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,993 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG

Posted 12 November 2007 - 10:28 PM

like i said the front grill does that already

passing past a hot engine first,these work very well.....colder air the better , its that simple

#19 miRon

miRon

• Banned
  • 1,993 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 10:39 PM

such a gimmic ,its even fooled the miglia boys,how is air being forced through a pipe at say 50mph,not onna make a differance?ever put yourhand out the window at high speed??? forced induction....its so simple

http://farm2.static....daff801.jpg?v=0

#20 blue redtop

blue redtop

• Members
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 10:42 PM

not dissing it or anything but i had one on my old nova and when it rained the water went up the pipe and on to the filter and it made my engine lumpy to drive.
wasn't nice at all. i would save the money and spend it on something mini need (rust protection ) ect

#21 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 12 November 2007 - 10:43 PM

now that's a sealed air box and see the size of the pipe

can you not see the difference between a sealed air box with a large feed pipe and a small pipe that just fits next to the carb ?

#22 miRon

miRon

• Banned
  • 1,993 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 11:43 PM

:D ^_^

#23 cap'n crunch

cap'n crunch

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts
  • Local Club: .

Posted 12 November 2007 - 11:52 PM

passing past a hot engine first,these work very well.....colder air the better , its that simple

.....did you not read my post...at all?

and here is the test i was talking about

minifinity air ducting test!

#24 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,615 posts
  • Local Club: Medievil minis of Warwickshire

Posted 12 November 2007 - 11:53 PM

also on the miglia thats basicly acting like a plenum, an air reservoir to keep air going into the carb at a steady rate stopping turbulance and all that hoo haarr

#25 miRon

miRon

• Banned
  • 1,993 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 11:56 PM

Conclusion (this is for my car, yours may be different, i doubt it, but it could be different).
From what i have seen ducting air from the front to the back of the engine bay does no more to affect under bonnet temperature above 20mph than having no ducting at all. Below this speed it may have some effect, but then again as soon as you go more than 30mph the temp has dropped to ambient anyway.
I was going to duct some "cooler" air back to my carbs but i dont think i'l bother now, it all seem a bit of a waste of time.

opinion.....

#26 miRon

miRon

• Banned
  • 1,993 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 12:02 AM

and also this cant just be tested on one car,once,
i wouldnt buy that kit at all as £40 is just crazy for something that could be made by somebody with half a brain,

with a closed bonnet do you think it would be hotter or cooler around the carb with this kit or not?seriously.
do you understand how fuel burns?

dont really care ,or want a row but its soooo obvious this is not 'just' a gimmic

#27 cap'n crunch

cap'n crunch

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 12:03 AM

Conclusion (this is for my car, yours may be different, i doubt it, but it could be different).
From what i have seen ducting air from the front to the back of the engine bay does no more to affect under bonnet temperature above 20mph than having no ducting at all. Below this speed it may have some effect, but then again as soon as you go more than 30mph the temp has dropped to ambient anyway.
I was going to duct some "cooler" air back to my carbs but i dont think i'l bother now, it all seem a bit of a waste of time.

opinion.....

yea, it's called the wisdom of crowds. That and the fact the theory for his reasonings are sound.

#28 miRon

miRon

• Banned
  • 1,993 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 12:05 AM

wrong.....
Again just an opinion

so who is correct

#29 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,419 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 13 November 2007 - 12:19 AM

Now I see this as an allegory of modern Britian - (to be read in your best rabbi Lionel Blair voice; Mark 'n Lard now that was light entertainment)

...now where was I, oh yes. We've become a nation of children dependent on 'experts' to save us from the troublesome business of working stuff out for ourselves. how does the above mentioned BMW driving mate know the length of shiny hoover hose under is bonnet is doing diddly squat? Is it that somebody made some impressive claims, it looks nice 'n is easy to fit? Besides if he's lumped out £50 then he'd best believe it works or he might have to admit to himself he's been a bit of a mug.

My advice, don't take any - advice that is. Engage your own grey matter weigh up the available information 'n make your own mind up. Even better get the plasticine, sticky back plaggy 'n empty washing up liquid bottles out 'n conduct a few experiments.

One thing I think we can bank on: the intake on that Miglia racer cost less than £40 and involved some intelligent design and experimentation - the Zen art of modding your Mini effectively in other words.

Air flows from high pressure to low pressure and you can measure pressure difference with a d.i.y. manometer all you need is a see through hose bent into a U with some water in it.

#30 cap'n crunch

cap'n crunch

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 12:24 AM

i'll admit when i saw that post on minifinity i did not beleive it and thought that it would help cold air intake into the carbs. But i did not just rubbish experiment, instead i thought it through and what the intake is actually doing and how it would differ from not using a "cold air intake". When you think about it it does make perfect sense. The air is rushing past the engine to fast from 20mph or more for it to heat the air.

This is a dodgy example i know but, at school with the bunsen burners (NOT recomended) you could pass your hand over/through the flame (yellow/safe flame not the blue traingle) and your hand would barely heat up at all and thats with 300c and with your hand moving past no more than 1-2mph at best. With that same (slightly odd admittedly) logic, 20mph over 60-90c will barely heat up the air a fraction of a degree.

if you intend to use a long tube for a ramming effect then yes, there clearly are gains to be had(the K&N torque ram being an excellent example) but that is through how the air is entering the carbs not the temperature.

Edited by cap'n crunch, 13 November 2007 - 12:30 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users