9 replies to this topic

#1 brandon7

brandon7

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 06:39 PM

Hi all I am ready to cut my shell this weekend in Prep for buying my Z cars kit early in the new year. Ill be Posting Blog etc once I actually have it.

I want to get all my cutting etc done now, I have the build DVD but i wondered if anyone has the exact measurements on paper(computer) for the cutting where necessary.
I want to get this spot on obviously.

On the website it says 27" back from the center bar and on the DVD its adds an extra 1/4" for comfort just little bits like this (I'm assuming cut main to 27 1/4" then grind back to 27" to tidy it up). But i don't want to assume anything. Also Chris makes it look a bit too easy on the DVD and I just want the kit to go in well and have no problems.

Maybe ill get this info when i buy the kit but if anyone has any documentation that would be ace. Also any extra advise before i continue wouldn't go a miss!
Cheers all

P.s. i always find this amusing with minis dint realise if had PTO painted on the bottom!. Shes back on her posts now!

Attached Files

Edited by brandon7, 12 November 2007 - 07:15 PM.

#2 gizmo

gizmo

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 07:35 PM

to make cutting job easier and less messy get your self a plasma cutter. also always give a little extra when measureing.saves a lot of "oops,darn,shucks"..luck to you

#3 R1minimagic

R1minimagic

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 07:37 PM

When I did mine I left about an extra inch on the car, put the cage inside and got it in the right place then marked out exactly what needed cutting off rather than just go with an outright measurement as the shells are probably a bit variable. Best to be on the safe side, if you cut too much off you are a bit bu**ered!!!

#4 Custom_Minis

Custom_Minis

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 09:10 PM

I think most people would also advise that you leave an extra inch on the exhaust tunnel cut. If you cut it like the DVD it will be short!

Les

#5 philmin

philmin

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Local Club: QQQQQ

Posted 12 November 2007 - 09:19 PM

Agreed, measured as per DVD, but tad short, nothing that couldn't be dealt with though.

#6 brandon7

brandon7

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 12:03 AM

OK add an Extra inch or so, Offer up the cage and see what works best. Makes sense!

As for the actual measurments themselves. anyone have these or is it as per DVD kinda just go for it? :D

There are no more precise instructions?

#7 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 01:54 PM

If you look closely on the build dvd I'm sure you can see the that the mini has had a section welded back in!

Cheers
David

#8 z cars chris

z cars chris

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 08:08 PM

if you e mail me i will mail you a drawing
chris

#9 Spoonz

Spoonz

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 09 December 2007 - 08:06 PM

When I did mine I left about an extra inch on the car, put the cage inside and got it in the right place then marked out exactly what needed cutting off rather than just go with an outright measurement as the shells are probably a bit variable. Best to be on the safe side, if you cut too much off you are a bit bu**ered!!!

I think most people would also advise that you leave an extra inch on the exhaust tunnel cut. If you cut it like the DVD it will be short!

Les

yup that dvd caused me to cut it short too,,,,, had to weld a piece back in,,,, muppet

spoonz

#10 tommycrf450

tommycrf450

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 10:37 PM

Hi, I've got a race spec kit and i cut my mk1 shell out exactly to the new revised measurements on the new video. I've put the kit in and it went in perfectly??? Thank god!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users