• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_falk_*

Guest_falk_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2005 - 10:12 AM

hi...

easy question i hope.
is there a restriction for the position of the rear fog light?
i know it has to be at the rear of the car (quite obvious :wink: ) and on the right hand side.

but i'm thinking of putting it inside the car on the rear parcel shelf so that it can be seen through the rear screen... just don't want to spoil the outline of the rear view of the car.

is there any law that definitely says the rear foglight has to be on the outside of the car?

thx,
falk

#2 jimbo_edmondo

jimbo_edmondo

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 10:16 AM

There is a compony that does a kit to convert one of ur reversin lights into a fog. However it's illegal probably because the bulb used isn't E marked. However i think i will be trying this one on my '86 mayfair. I'm not sure about other legalities but i know the older cars didn't have fogs.

At the moment my car has twin fogs but they're different lamps why did someone do that!?
Hope that helps a bit!

#3 Hot MPI

Hot MPI

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 10:35 AM

All cars registered in 1980 or later must have a rear fog light fitted by law. You are only required to have one fog light, but this must be positioned to the off-side of the vehicle. I think it is acceptable to have a centrally mounted lamp, but I doubt that you could have it mounted as high up as your rear screen. I think that there is a maximum height restriction. Not 100% sure about the height restriction, but I suspect this to be the case. There is also a law that states that the fog lamp must be at least a minimum distance away from the brake light. I'm not sure what this distance is off the top of my head, but I imagine that this is the reason why the reversing light conversion may be illegal. Oh, and it must be E-marked. This information is all from memory, so if anyone can elaborate or correct me on any of the above, I would be most grateful.

#4 Guest_falk_*

Guest_falk_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2005 - 11:49 AM

on my 25 i did the reverse light conversion and i never had problems with the mot...
wouldn't understand it anyway as every new car has the foglights integrated in the rearlight cluster...
but that's not what it's all about... on my studio2 i'm going a different theme. a little more retro. it has the bootmounted reversing light and gets mk2 rearlights soon. that means the reversing light conversion wouldn't do the job.

@hot mpi:
sounds interesting but would disappoint me...
but on what do you base your doubts about the height restriction for foglights? is there anything where it's written down? anything what i can search the internet for?
don't get me wrong! i'm originally from germany and i'm living in england now since last april... if i had this questions in germany i knew what to enter into the search engines. over here it's a bit different... i just don't know the exact terms... this sometimes can really be exhausting and sometimes embarrassing (talking not only about minis, also job and even worse in private life, but that's a different story... :cheese: )

so if anybody can tell me for sure if my foglight plans would work or at least tell me what word to enter in the search engine... that will get me a big step further...

thx for your effort... :wink:

#5 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 12:03 PM

Try having a look on the DVLA (Department of Vehicle and Licence Agency?!), they might have it written down, if not, you should be able to e-mail them and they will put you in touch with whoever you need to ask. Although some one on here may know the answer anyway!!

#6 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 08 March 2005 - 12:38 PM

Here's the deal....

Statutory Instrument 1989 No. 1796 The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989

1. Number: One
2. Position- ( a) Longitudinal: At or near the rear of the vehicle
( B) Lateral- (i) Where one rear fog lamp is fitted: On the centre-line or off side of the vehicle (disregarding any sidecar forming part of a motor bicycle combination)
(ii) Where two lamps are fitted: No requirement

C Vertical- (i) Maximum height above the ground-

(A) Any vehicle not covered by sub-paragraph ( B):

1000 mm

( B) An agricultural vehicle, engineering plant and a motor tractor:

2100 mm

(ii) Minimum height above the ground:

250 mm

(d) Minimum separation distance between a rear fog lamp and a stop lamp-

(i) In the case of a rear fog lamp which does not share a common lamp body with a stop lamp:

A distance of 100 mm between the light-emitting surfaces of the lamps when viewed in a direction parallel to the longitudinal axis of the vehicle

(ii) In the case of a rear fog lamp which shares a common lamp body with a stop lamp:

100 mm

3. Angles of visibility-
(a) Horizontal:

25° inwards and outwards. However, where two rear fog lamps are fitted it shall suffice if throughout the sector so defined at least one lamp (but not necessarily the same lamp) is visible

( B) Vertical:
5° above and below the horizontal

4. Alignment:

To the rear

5. Markings:

An approval mark

6. Size of illuminated area:

No requirement

7. Colour:

Red

8. Wattage:

No requirement

9. Intensity:

No requirement

10. Electrical connections:

No rear fog lamp shall be fitted to any vehicle so that it can be illuminated by the application of any braking system on the vehicle

11. Tell-tale:

A circuit-closed tell-tale shall be fitted

My Webpagehttp://www.legislation.hmso.gov.uk/si/si1989/Uksi_19891796_en_16.htm

Edited by GuessWorks, 08 March 2005 - 12:41 PM.

#7 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 12:43 PM

PS.. this is going in the FAQ

#8 Guest_falk_*

Guest_falk_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2005 - 01:45 PM

@guessworks:
thx... sounds like good news!!! :grin: so i can start working on it! brill!!!...

#9 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 02:36 PM

Now in FAQ's Clicky

#10 Guest_falk_*

Guest_falk_*
  • Guests