Matt

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts
  • Local Club: The mini forum - i live here

Posted 22 November 2007 - 02:39 PM

;D

How do i prove someone lives at an address??

i have to prove my ex house mate is now living with his parents so that debt collectors can actually go and collect debt. he owes 200 pound in council tax and 3 grand in rent.

any ideas??

can get his national insurance, his tax code and i know where he works... would this help me?

Edited by Matt, 22 November 2007 - 02:40 PM.

#2 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 22 November 2007 - 03:09 PM

search his bins for something addressed to him

#3 Matt

Matt

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 03:12 PM

well he lives at his parents house which doubles as a corner shop..

#4 my_first_mini

my_first_mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 03:28 PM

well he lives at his parents house which doubles as a corner shop..

bet there is sumwhere on the net u cud find out how to

#5 imabitnaughtyxx

imabitnaughtyxx

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 03:33 PM

As you know matt this is the job i did for the local authority (baliffs section) for 5 years, whether you want my advice or not is up to you. KC

#6 Matt

Matt

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 03:41 PM

i didnt know that actually...

ill take your advice if your willing to give it..

and id also like to come to some sort of public arangement whereby we arnt constantly arguing with each other. im up for it if you are.

#7 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,438 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 23 November 2007 - 03:42 PM

When did he move there? It's illegal not to register to vote so he would be on the electoral roll as long as he was at the address when the last registration was done. The local library will have a copy if you know the address.

Otherwise I think you would have to play at private detective: you could write to him at that address if you can think of a way of getting him to reply.

Citizens Advice...

Dunno if the County Court could subpoena his employer to divulge his address if you have a judgment against him?

Be careful what you do with his NI number etc if you have no good reason to have it- you could land yourself in the poo.

Edited by Ethel, 23 November 2007 - 03:49 PM.

#8 Matt

Matt

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 03:49 PM

hmmm well he moved back earlier this year.. march time?

we've sent recorded delivery letters, but they have always been signed for by his parents
he registered his car to his sister.. but uses that to continue to do his job.. (dominos pizza haha)

i phoned them and he is still working for them!
but hes asking for his wages to be paid in cash.

only reason i do have it.. is i found a lot documents from when we moved out.. including his spiraling debt problems... a credit card bill of 2000+ and a final warning letter.. a orange phone bill last warning for 800 quid..

so no wonder he did a runner with my money!

my main problems is that his parents deny all knowledge of him being there.. and debt collectors cant really do anything until its proven he does live there...
i think your right ethel some detective work is needed.

any pointers?

Edited by Matt, 23 November 2007 - 03:52 PM.

#9 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,438 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 03:54 PM

If he's doing a low paid job and has no savings or property of value you could have a long wait!

Think you'd need photos of him coming and going from the house to establish it is where he lives but not sure how admissible it would be if you took them and couldn't verify the dates independently.

Wonders if a mobile phone camera would do this to the satisfaction of a court???

Edited by Ethel, 23 November 2007 - 04:01 PM.

#10 imabitnaughtyxx

imabitnaughtyxx

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 03:57 PM

and id also like to come to some sort of public arangement whereby we arnt constantly arguing with each other. im up for it if you are.

No need im happy not to pursue any argument in the future, i havent the time anymore i cant be bothered. End of.
now.
With regard to the problem, firstly a debt collector does not need to establish a permanent address for the debtor, thats a cop out on their behalf, usually council tax arrears are collected under warrant of execution, again a permanent address not needed as they have the power to attach to earnings, benefits etc by court order, only takes about 14 days to execute.
It all also depends on his age,(over 18) ? financial arrangements, commitments etc etc.
Firstly do a search on 192.com to establish whether or not the chap is on the current electoral role. If he is thats proof enough.
If not, search for him in the area to establish if he has an alternative address, ie his grandparents, girlfriend etc.
Even then he might not part with any cash to a debt collector, if he has no assets or viable earnings then theres nothing to collect from. The best way is to contact a debt collector/baliffs agency with a view to siezing assets (car, personal effects) to clear some debt but this is costly, lengthy and must go to court first in order for the warrant to be isued.
Searching through mail is illegal, taking any rubbish, letters etc from mail is also theft. In any event he may claim that his postal address is that of his parents and he still has no fixed address anyway. perfectly viable explanation.
If you have some more details on the debt and action taken until now i might be able to expand a bit more on this....

#11 imabitnaughtyxx

imabitnaughtyxx

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 03:58 PM

No need im happy not to pursue any argument in the future, i havent the time anymore i cant be bothered. End of.
now.
With regard to the problem, firstly a debt collector does not need to establish a permanent address for the debtor, thats a cop out on their behalf, usually council tax arrears are collected under warrant of execution, again a permanent address not needed as they have the power to attach to earnings, benefits etc by court order, only takes about 14 days to execute.
It all also depends on his age,(over 18) ? financial arrangements, commitments etc etc.
Firstly do a search on 192.com to establish whether or not the chap is on the current electoral role. If he is thats proof enough.
If not, search for him in the area to establish if he has an alternative address, ie his grandparents, girlfriend etc.
Even then he might not part with any cash to a debt collector, if he has no assets or viable earnings then theres nothing to collect from. The best way is to contact a debt collector/baliffs agency with a view to siezing assets (car, personal effects) to clear some debt but this is costly, lengthy and must go to court first in order for the warrant to be isued.
Searching through mail is illegal, taking any rubbish, letters etc from mail is also theft. In any event he may claim that his postal address is that of his parents and he still has no fixed address anyway. perfectly viable explanation.
If you have some more details on the debt and action taken until now i might be able to expand a bit more on this....

#12 Matt

Matt

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 03:59 PM

well hes earning 200 quid a week.. so a good enough paid job...

he does have a honda civic (newer style)

but as i said thats registered as his sisters..

#13 imabitnaughtyxx

imabitnaughtyxx

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 04:05 PM

Debt collectors have no power to enforce anything though you see, they just 'knock and hope' and collect commission sometimes on top of a basic salary. Even if you prove he lives somewhere, if he hasnt any money to pay, then he wont.
If he chooses say bankrupcy, or insolvency, not a penny will be paid if there are no assets, sometimes you cannot go bankrupt nowadays unless you have assets to meet some of the costs anyway.

#14 Matt

Matt

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 04:07 PM

umm as it stands many companies have approached his parents and they have been told that he no longer lives here (parents house) and we no longer have contact with him.. despite the fact i frequently see him driving the civic as well as watching him go home to sleep.

so he is living there.

and he does appear on 192 as living with his family too

i tried citizens advice but they really were useless...

Edited by Matt, 23 November 2007 - 04:10 PM.

#15 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,438 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 04:09 PM

I'd have some sympathy with him if he's hard up but you'd like to think he's taking some responsibility for his debts...

Might be a bit of a shitty trick but has he registered the fact he's using the car for business with his insurers, not sure he could even do this if it's not insured in his name.

Even if his sister is the keeper it doesn't mean it's not his car but that would be nigh on impossible to prove.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users